Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New cam going in... anything else to do?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2005, 08:21 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New cam going in... anything else to do?

Well, i decided to take the plunge and drop in a new cam. I'm doing a few other things, but just wanted to double check with you guys to see if I'm missing anything... or if I should do anything else while I'm in there.

Current mods:
Blackwing, Ported TB, LS6 Intake, Kooks 1.75" w/ cats, Borla Stingers, LS1Edit, TNT F1, TR224, Hardened PRs, CC918s.

Here is what I'm doing so far...
FM-14 232/234 .598/.598 112
PRC Spring Kit (springs, ti retainers, seats, seals)
LS2 Timing Chain
LS6 Oil Pump
LS6 Valley Cover (for better pcv)
GMPP Wires and TR6s
28# injectors(low miles out of a 2002 z06)

Without doing heads, the only thing thats really left is a waterpump, pulley, and off-road x-pipe. The waterpump doesn't seem to be cost effective, while I cant go with an underdriven alt so the pulley is out. I may add the off-road x-pipe by the time I do the install... stillup in the air on that one.

Am I missing anything?

Thanks,

Mike

(Edited: mistakenly typed h-pipe... changed to x-pipe)

Last edited by Mike00FRC; 02-27-2005 at 11:39 PM.
Old 02-27-2005, 09:30 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd use Comp 918 springs even on the new cam; they're the best spring for anything up to a .625 lift. I don't understand why you can't go with a pulley; I've not had any charging issues with mine. X-pipe is supposed to be better than an H-pipe. You might want to consider some aftermarket rockers for reliability, not power. Electric waterpump is pricey by sure nice to cool the engine between runs. If you aren't doing heads because of cost, consider hand-porting them yourself. If you educate yoursefl first, you can do a good job.
Old 02-27-2005, 09:58 PM
12 Second Club

Definetely get the x-pipe instead of the h-pipe. When i do my cam swap here in a few weeks i plan on doing a lil porting and polishing myself being very conservative. The prc do not have to be shimmed to get the necessary pressure(what i heard from Futral) and thats what i plan on using with my cam swap.

Kyle
Old 02-27-2005, 10:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike00FRC
Well, i decided to take the plunge and drop in a new cam. I'm doing a few other things, but just wanted to double check with you guys to see if I'm missing anything... or if I should do anything else while I'm in there.

Current mods:
Blackwing, Ported TB, LS6 Intake, Kooks 1.75" w/ cats, Borla Stingers, LS1Edit, TNT F1, TR224, Hardened PRs, CC918s.

Here is what I'm doing so far...
FM-14 232/234 .598/.598 112
PRC Spring Kit (springs, ti retainers, seats, seals)
LS2 Timing Chain
LS6 Oil Pump
LS6 Valley Cover (for better pcv)
GMPP Wires and TR6s
28# injectors(low miles out of a 2002 z06)

Without doing heads, the only thing thats really left is a waterpump, pulley, and off-road h-pipe. The waterpump doesn't seem to be cost effective, while I cant go with an underdriven alt so the pulley is out. I may add the off-road h-pipe by the time I do the install... stillup in the air on that one.

Am I missing anything?

Thanks,

Mike

There are overdrive alternator pulleys that you can also get that take care of the charging issue.
Old 02-27-2005, 11:35 PM
TECH Regular

H-pipe was stuck in my mind for some reason... its actually an X-pipe. As far as the pulleys are concerned, I'm running a pretty decent system in the car, and the alternator is barely able to keep up as it is. Getting some dimming of the headlights when the bass hits. Any idea how much difference between the standard underdriven pulley setup and using an overdriven alt/underdriven pulley setup will be in hp?

With the 918s, I've been seeing some pretty good comments on them lately with regards to some larger camshafts. The thing is I already have the PRC kit. I still have some time to think this over and may end up selling the PRC kit and going with another set of 918s. This is probably the main thing I have to decide on.

Oh well, thanks for the input guys.

Mike
Old 02-28-2005, 06:36 AM
TECH Addict

Talking

With the 918s, I've been seeing some pretty good comments on them lately with regards to some larger camshafts. The thing is I already have the PRC kit. I still have some time to think this over and may end up selling the PRC kit and going with another set of 918s. This is probably the main thing I have to decide on.
Oh well, thanks for the input guys.Mike
I am going with the PRC kit in my cam install this weekend. They should work fine.

Bill
Old 02-28-2005, 09:35 AM
9 Second Club

H-pipe was stuck in my mind for some reason... its actually an X-pipe. As far as the pulleys are concerned, I'm running a pretty decent system in the car, and the alternator is barely able to keep up as it is. Getting some dimming of the headlights when the bass hits. Any idea how much difference between the standard underdriven pulley setup and using an overdriven alt/underdriven pulley setup will be in hp?

Oh well, thanks for the input guys.

Mike
Like some of the other people said,go and get a pulley and get a overdriven alt pulley.As for the "bass hitting" you probably need a #1 farat cap. to store power so it dont take it from your battery aka make your lights dim.Then for the springs. The 918's are a good idea exspecally if your old ones (prc) have gottened weak.
Old 02-28-2005, 09:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Actually, within the last few years, countless tests have shown that stiffening caps do not make a noticeable difference in output, unless your amp was designed with insufficient capicitors already (read: cheap crap). The most important thing is to upgrade the magic three wires, next best thing is to get the OVERDRIVE alt pulley, and if thats not good enough, its tile to look into a high output alt. Just remember not to go by its peak rating. You need to find out what it puts out at idle too, cause you dont ONLY bump your system at 6K RPMs