Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 RPM range?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2005, 10:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 RPM range?

I have done some searching, and read some similar threads, and saw people flaming similar questions, but here goes anyway...

I am putting an LS1 in my Datsun 240, which already has a TPI SBC in it. I hate the TPI, because it runs out of breath at about 4700 rpms or so.... and I want the LS1 for all the obvious reasons. The LS1 will most likely end up with a STS turbo system. I will already be dealing with all the HP I want plus some, so I am not worried about losing HP, or being terribly efficient, or any of the other little objections. I want to be able to rev out the engine a bit, like I could with the original straight six. This car will also occasionally be driven by my GF, unless the first attempt scares her too badly. (as you can imagine, that wouldnt bother me all that much. = ) I would like a safe redline of about 7000 to 7300 rpm. I will also most likely be going with the T-56 and a lightened Flywheel. I am anticipating using the appropriate after-market electronics so that a missed shift or an inexperienced driver will not ruin my investment. What am I looking at in general terms as far as parts and cost? Without knowing a lot, I imagine the valve-train, rockers, and rods need some attention? How much upgrading beyond that would I need, and what is a ballpark on parts? Will the bottom-end need work as well? Also... I am playing with the idea of dropping the compression slightly, as I want this to be a long-term daily driver and toy, and as I mentioned, there will be far more power available than I really need or have to have. My greatest concerns are driveability and durability.... and my mods to the chassis and suspension should be more than adequate for the drivability....
So.... input, ideas, suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

tannji
Old 03-06-2005, 01:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

I can't help you , but I just wanted to say SWEET

There's a guy in our local AutoX club wuth a 240z/LT1 car. It's awesome. It's not set up for street though, it's a purpose built SCCA car.
Old 03-06-2005, 01:38 AM
TECH Addict

For 7000-7300 RPMs you will have no problem.

All you will need is a good set of forged rods, and pistons, if your going F/I you should also consider getting them for 8.5:1

After that, you will need a good grind turbo cam, and some great double valvesprings, get them with a little more than normal seat pressure, stock ratio rockers will be fine.
Old 03-06-2005, 06:31 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i vote forged pistons, forged rods w/ L19 ARP rod bolts, retro fitted stock rockers from nasty nate, comp 918's w/ tit. retainers. since you want 7k+ rpms you'll want a light weight valvetrain.
Old 03-06-2005, 06:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jrp
i vote forged pistons, forged rods w/ L19 ARP rod bolts, retro fitted stock rockers from nasty nate, comp 918's w/ tit. retainers. since you want 7k+ rpms you'll want a light weight valvetrain.
may i add LS6 valves, titanium retainers and custom p-rods. Also 9.0:1 will be plenty for 15>17 psi boost, an FIC of course and a set of AFR's 205 with head studs.

Oh and I forgot (NEVER LET YOU GF DRIVE YOUR CAR ). I mean that.
Old 03-06-2005, 02:01 PM
Teching In

Funny stuff.... My GF and I work together out of the home, so spending a large amount of money on a project is kinda like appropriating money on committees in washington, the means and justifications can get a little odd. In this case, I made the mistake of asking her to be careful with the car in its current state... and since she can putter to the store and back without doing burnouts accidently, she gets a little pissy about spending money on something she wouldnt be able to drive. So, I am thinking that she will have to either drive it with the LS1 at least once... or be in the car for a demonstration that might scare some common sense back into her.

So, taking a bit from the suggestions above, can I just get some LS6 heads, do some freshening up with valve seats, push rods, retainers, and go with forged pistons and rods? Assuming I source the LS6 heads on my own, whats a good ball park on the rest of the parts? I will be doing as much of the labor as possible on my own, with some outside help brought in where necessary.

Also.... I am going with a complete rear suspension and drive-train from a Nissan 240SX... the R230 LSD Diff and CV's are monstrously strong, and compare well to most of the 9 inch rear options available, with better traction and handling. My concern at this point is the T-56 tranny... I do not anticipate exceeding 500HP.... or not until the newness has worn off lol You know how that goes..... but this car isnt meant for breaking land-speed records, or 8 second quarters. (A 10 second Quarter should be entirely possible tho.... lol) What is the breaking point of that tranny, the point at which you generally need to go with aftermarket, hardened internals and such? If I run daily on about 3 to 5 pounds of boost, with the occasional track day or highway run at 7 to 12 pounds.... am I already in the area of concern?
I just read about the GTO that ran an 11.23 1/4 mile with the STS system at 9 pounds of boost, stock heads, and a LS6 style cam..... with the A4 tho... His car outweighs mine by about 1500 pounds, and I imagine I will have a traction edge when all is said and done.... this should be a lot of fun when finished....

Quick Reply: LS1 RPM range?