Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cleaning out my heads/intake...need some direction!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2005, 06:28 PM
That's what she said...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question Cleaning out my heads/intake...need some direction!

hey guys, i pulled my intake/heads to change out my crappy lifters. the intake is pretty gunked up around the beginning of the ports, and i'd like to clean it out. the heads also have a little black stuff where the injectors spray in as well.

what would be good to clean 'em with? i want them to be bling-blingin inside and out before i put them back in i'm still waiting on my PRC vavlespring kit so i have plenty of time.

my cylinders look good, you can still see all the honing cross-hatch patterns in the them! i figured i see even SOME scarring after 100k miles, but they look great! i had to pull my steering shaft out to get my driverside header to clear the lower headbolts, other than that, it went pretty smoothly.

p.s. - i need to go to sears and get a new 1/2" drive ratchet, it made it to about the last 2 head bolts, and then it started skipping pretty bad. turns out that 1/2" ratchets dont enjoy 3 foot cheater-pipes those head bolts were BITCHES!

my heads were made 11/25/97 and are 806 castings, anything special about the 806 castings?

cliff-notes: what should i clean the heads/intake manifold and the ports/runners with?
Old 03-06-2005, 11:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

carb cleaner, soak the cc in Seafoam, go over with carb cleaner
Old 03-07-2005, 12:56 AM
That's what she said...

thanx! i was going to use some carb cleaner, i just wanted to know if there were any special tricks.

my uncle is going to put the heads in the varsol (sp?) machine at his work, it constantly dips parts up and down in it and cleans 'em out good. i plan on using the wet/dry shop vac along with a plastic scraper to clean up the gasket material on the block/heads. i dont want anything to plug up my spankin new lifters
Old 03-07-2005, 08:13 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While ya got the heads off ya oughta polish them out after ya clean it out won't build back up as easy. Some of the stock heads are real bad sand cast as in the 853s the 241s are a pretty good cast Should help though I see yours is a 98 so it will have the 853s!You can file the first part of it out and go over it with some sand paper thats the cheap way unless ya got a die grinder laying around then ya ca go town on them!
Old 03-07-2005, 09:51 AM
That's what she said...

i'm pretty sure it has an 806 casting number right above the date 11/25/97 i'm not well traveled with the casting numbers and such

its right up by the coolant temp sensor hole (i think).

i'll check 'em out when i get home today.