Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How important are head studs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 08:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default How important are head studs?

Are ARP headstuds worth the price of admission on a 430whp H/C (550whp nitrous) car?

I understand they are nice for later head removal and installs but on a scale of 1-10 how much do they help/prevent at that level compared to OE bolts?

Thanks
Old 03-21-2005, 09:03 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

not really necessary if you are intending to do it only once...but if you spray or do the forced induction thing...its a good Idea to get the studs.......they get a more even clamp pressure from not having to be "stretched" into place
and IF you need to get into th emotor a lot..or need to take the heads off again in the future(like if you are planning on a lifter upgrade later) then you can reuse the studs...so it saves a few bucks by not having to buy new bolts again
Old 03-21-2005, 09:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah if your going to spray it Id get the Arp studs and some cometic head gaskets..
Old 03-21-2005, 09:11 PM
8 SEC SLOPPY SHOT!!!

I would never put stock bolts in again.After my heads came off a third time and put back on with oe bolts i pulled the threads out of one bolt hole.Then i had to buy a time sert kit to fix the block 370.00 later for the kit.
Old 03-21-2005, 09:27 PM
Launching!

If you don't want to get ARP studs, then get ARP bolts. Same benefits for the most part besides the ease of head removals and reinstalls...they are reusable.
Old 03-21-2005, 10:25 PM
TECH Resident

I guess I will go with some head studs. Might as well, I can transfer them to an upgraded block in the future when I go really big hp

$250 for 20 studs, nuts, washers
Old 03-21-2005, 10:34 PM
Launching!

I don't know how the Dynatech headers are...but studs were a pain in the *** with my headers, so be ready for that just in case.
Old 03-21-2005, 10:41 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Jimm
I don't know how the Dynatech headers are...but studs were a pain in the *** with my headers, so be ready for that just in case.
head studs? how so?
Old 03-21-2005, 10:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by mr2guru
head studs? how so?
I didn't take the headers all the way off, if you do you won't have a problem. But with the headers on the car, even trying to pry them out of the way, I couldn't get the heads to fit over the head studs because the headers blocked them. Even with just the tope row of studs in it wouldn't fit. If I wanted to use them without totally dropping the headers (a pain I didn't want to go through), I'd have to put the heads on, thread all the studs in, and then thread the nut on.

Next time I do this I'll drop the engine from the bottom and put studs in then. For now I'm using ARP Head Bolts this time around. (I didn't find cleaning the holes of coolant to be that big of a deal)
Old 03-22-2005, 02:09 AM
Banned

ditto. it sucks with the studs but you can wrench em back off with an allen wrench and some ***** to get your heads off. my headers are welded on so i really have little choice.

But since i plan on spraying i would rather have the extra effort to get the heads off then to worry about blowing head gaskets out the side of the block.

Nate