Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

20k mile fluid changes...any recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 02:02 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 20k mile fluid changes...any recommendations?

My car's coming up on 20,000 miles and 3 years old, so I figured i'd do a bit of maintenance work to it. Basically a spark plug change, and fluid changes for the transmission, rear-end, possibly coolant and power steering, and of course an oil change. The car has all of the original fluids, with the exception of the engine oil.

What brands, types, and weights should I look into? Particularly for the tranny, rear-end, and power steering (if it's even necessary), since i'm not really familiar with what kind of fluids they require. Red Line seems to make synthetic fluids for all of the above, but I figured i'd ask before buying anything. I've been using Castrol 5w-30 synthetic for the engine up to this point...might switch to red line though, if I end up ordering other red line fluids. Also, is 5w-30 apporpriate for the warm Arizona climate, or should I look into another weight?
Old 03-22-2005, 04:44 PM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

You're at a good point to change fluids, IMO. I won't tell you whats the best: I will tell you the GM differential fluid is expensive. I run the Mobil 1 75W90 and the GM additive. If you have an A4, I would just use whatever appeals to you. I've done at least 4 fluid/filter changes and have used Valvoline, Quaker State, etc. ATF. I have used GM trans filters, Purolator trans filters and I think Bosch.
If you are doing this yourself, I highly recommend cleaning the differential out real good, you will have a bunch of metal on the cover magnet the first oil change. I used carburetor cleaner and soaked the gears down real good (I've done this about 4 times also) , wipe it all clean and bolt it up and refill.
Gerald
Old 03-22-2005, 05:44 PM
Launching!

My car's a six speed car...if i've read correctly, it uses automatic transmission fluid, correct? Also, would my transmission have a filter, or is that just an automatic thing?
Old 03-23-2005, 06:04 AM
TECH Resident

Redline is simply the best oil you can put in your car. Use their D4 in your transmission and 75w90 gear oil in your rear. I also use their PS fluid in my car.

Their products are exceptional. I've been using them for 10 years now with no problems.

I did a little test when I switched my '95 Z to redline. I checked the rear end after a 40 min drive to work before and after my switch to redline. The case temp on my rear end dropped 30 degrees. I checked it both days with an IR temp gun.

Good luck.
Old 03-23-2005, 12:36 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by equandt
Redline is simply the best oil you can put in your car. Use their D4 in your transmission and 75w90 gear oil in your rear. I also use their PS fluid in my car.

Their products are exceptional. I've been using them for 10 years now with no problems.

I did a little test when I switched my '95 Z to redline. I checked the rear end after a 40 min drive to work before and after my switch to redline. The case temp on my rear end dropped 30 degrees. I checked it both days with an IR temp gun.

Good luck.
Just the kind of info I was looking for...thanks a lot man.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

where can you get redline fluids or do you have to order from someone like speedinc.
Old 03-23-2005, 05:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You mentioned the atf for the 6sp. Is that redlines atf and would that be suitable for the automatic also...I am looking to put a better atf in the wifes yukon so I won't have to buy her a new one for a while?
Old 03-23-2005, 06:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Don't forget about the brake fluid. I change mine every two years. They say water gets in it. Plus it flushes out the dirt.
Old 03-24-2005, 05:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 777
where can you get redline fluids or do you have to order from someone like speedinc.
I'm pretty sure you have to order them from somewhere...I don't think you can buy direct from their website.
Old 03-24-2005, 05:21 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WS6 RULES
Don't forget about the brake fluid. I change mine every two years. They say water gets in it. Plus it flushes out the dirt.
Do you recommend any specific kind of fluid? I think i've heard you're supposed to sure a DOT 3, but not completely sure about that.
Old 03-26-2005, 05:48 PM
Launching!

Anyone else have any opinions/recommendations?