Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Budget cam only need titanium retainers??

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 12:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Budget cam only need titanium retainers??

OK getting ready for cam only install on the Vette. I'm not supposed to be modding this so I am keeping it modest until its paid off in 3 years.

I have a Steath II cam from MTI, and HP tuners with LM1. Trying to decide on springs.

Pretty set on 918's the REV's I had in the WS6 broke withing 3000 miles. From what I've read and the fact that the local tuner has a 10 second 387 that he BEATS THE SNOT out of has used his 918's for the last 2 years.

So get a set of the 918's and maybe a rollmaster replacement chain. In this setup in which I may move the limiter up a little from the stock 6700 but not much are titanium retainers needed? They are easy to add later after the headers are installed.

Just on a tight budget and that 150 could go to headers later on...

Thanks!

Bobby
Old 03-24-2005, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The retainers go on top of the springs. They just lighten up the vavle train. I dont know if they are worth it but i am running them and a lot of other people are running them. Just one of those parts that is border line.

I would not get the cam and get the headers first if i where u. YOu will have a cam in a car that is choked off.

As for the Rev limiter. You need to look at the dyno to diside on the limiter. Not what u think it should be.
Old 03-24-2005, 12:58 PM
TECH Junkie

The LS6 already has shorty headers. If you look at prices per HP on a corvette then cam (in a mild setup) makes more sense to me in terms of $$ per HP. Already have the cam and while I agree that headers will "add" to the effects of the cam, I don't know that the engine will be choked too bad at those power levels like they would on a 98-00 F-body. So we'll have to agree to disagree on that one. I expect stock (will find out next week) I'm at about 340rwhp, I'm "guessing" the cam and tuning will get me to the 360 mark at least. Headers may have gotten me to 370 but headers also cost 1400 vs the cam is going to about 500 total to do.

I understand the rev limiter I was just giving an estimate the stock Z06 is already set pretty high and I don't see the stealth II taking it that much higher. But you are absolutely correct that is the way to set it, although real world runs do come into play there as well.

I kinda figured the Titaniums were borderline. And yes I ALWAY want to lighten rotating mass and valvetrain, but again I'm poor

BTW that sounds like a very nice setup you have
Old 03-24-2005, 03:00 PM
8 Second Club

I personally don't think there is enough difference in weight on that tiny retainer to necessitate spending $150 on titanium one's. I've had a set in the past and sold them. Running stock now with the 918's. The LS6 already has the light valves so I don't think you'll really benefit from them.