Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some LS6 engine advise

Old 03-24-2005, 09:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some LS6 engine advise

Long story short, the bottom end in my LS1 for my 2000 Z-28 is shot. I spun more than one rod bearing and smoked some cylinder walls. So, I need to replace AT LEAST the bottom end so my question is can I replace it with the LS6 short/long block? It's my understanding that everything bolts up the same, however I would need the LS6 heads to go with the block, correct? Can I reuse the LS1 Intake and Camshaft? Or will I have to replace the valve train with LS6 parts too?

I guess I'm really just wondering what all my possible options are. If I have to rebuild, I want to get the most out of it! THe only catch is it's being done in a GM shop, so they'll only install GM stuff, which is why I'm looking at the LS6 end of things. There is a lot of knowledge here at LS1 tech that I'd like to take advantage of. That's for any help!
Old 03-24-2005, 09:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you can just replace the short block. I would look at the Lingenfelter shortblock for the best bang for the buck.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:58 PM
On The Tree

If you are having the work done at a dealership then your options are limited. Is this a warranty job? Most GM dealers won't bother with repairing an engine or even a shortblock replacement...they drop in a crate motor and add your accessories. You could buy an LS6 motor but you will get a load of crap from the dealer about how hard it is and how much more it's going to cost you. Sounds like you're going to have to settle for a "repair back to stock" job and worry about performance mods later.
Old 03-25-2005, 12:06 AM
Staging Lane

Okay, good to know. I guess I just wanted to know what possible combinations I had, depending on what the dealer has to offer me tomorrow. I already mentioned building the LS6 and he was good for it. So can I use the same computer/wiring from the LS1 for the LS6, or does any of that change?

Edit: not a warrenty job...
Old 03-25-2005, 12:14 AM
That's what she said...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

also might want to check out the APE cheap-street 347 shortblock.

2800$ w/ forged pistons/rods. not to mention you will be buying from one of the best companies/engine builders on this board ~~~~~~>
Old 03-25-2005, 12:16 AM
That's what she said...

p.s. - you can bolt ALL your stuff thats still good onto your new shortblock. the computer will work, the cam will work, heads will work, etc. there are a few parts that you might want to upgrade while you are in there as well.

example) ported LS6 oilpump (stock probably fried anyway) 130$ish?, LS2 timing chain (30$), bigger cam .......dont even get me started
Old 03-25-2005, 12:17 AM
Staging Lane

I would love to go with someone else's build, but I have to stick with GM parts, because it's a GM dealership installing it. That's what I'm asking about the LS6, becausee that, at the moment, is the best performance option available to me through GM. Unless I can fit an LS2 in there.... j/k
Old 03-25-2005, 03:03 AM
12 Second Club

I think a 408 will be reasnobale and worth the replacement istead of putting on an ls6 short block , 3595$ SLP .
Old 03-25-2005, 03:13 AM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by Marksman
I would love to go with someone else's build, but I have to stick with GM parts, because it's a GM dealership installing it. That's what I'm asking about the LS6, becausee that, at the moment, is the best performance option available to me through GM. Unless I can fit an LS2 in there.... j/k
why are you going through a STEALERship? you can probably find a speed shop somewhere around you, even if you have to drive a few hours, it will be worthwhile for you (performance and probably PRICEwise). LS6 stuff is overrated IMO. its also a good idea to develop a good relationship with a speedshop
Old 03-25-2005, 07:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Marksman
I received an LS6 longblock crate motor as a replacement because I specifically asked for it, they gave me no problems about that and the long block LS6 was much cheaper than the full pop for a complete LS1 they wanted to put in. That crate motor ($5300) is an excellent choice, with headers and TD's I have laid down 390 hp and 387 tq at the rear wheels and hit 170mph with room to go.

What made me go down the street was that the dealership stated that they would adjust the price to match the full estimate and that they quoted 1800 bucks to install. They also said they would only put the factory program in the computer. TSP did it for less than half that, included headers, dynotune, etc... and the GM warranty still applies.

The LS6 parts are good enough for ZO6's so I don't think its over rated at all for factory stuff. Are there better parts out there for these motors? Yep, but these are still excellent choices to consider I think. With this motor you get a set of excellent heads, a very tight and stout build, and a 50,000 mile warranty as long as you don't open the motor or spray it.

Last edited by Joker; 03-25-2005 at 07:35 AM.

Search this Thread