Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New TSP ported LS6 oil pump

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2005, 08:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New TSP ported LS6 oil pump

Got mine installed today by Ryan's Performance Machines(R.P.M.) in Raleigh, NC. Dropped it off at 9, got it back around 4:30. $250 labor. $197 for pump, water pump gaskets(metal kind), timer chain cover gasket, crank seal, and O-ring.

Pressure before was 20 psi at warm/hot idle and 20-23psi on the highway in 6th gear at 1900rpm. Now, it's 25psi at warm/hot idle and around 35psi at 1900rpm in 6th. In park, I can rev it up to about 3500rpm and it makes around 45-50psi.

While I'm satisfied with the results, it's time for an oil change and I will be switching to Mobil 1 0W-40. Hopefully this will regain a little more psi as I'd like to have around 40psi on the highway.

I reccommend these guys, awesome guys that communicate well with the customer and hey...when the shop owner has a drag Camaro and the other guy has a 670hp TA that looks completely bone-stock, with a black SS getting a 383 and two other F-bodys in the shop...you know you've come to the right place hahaha.

Anyways, what do you guys think of the results? Yay? Should have been more of a jump in psi? Etc.
Old 03-26-2005, 08:58 AM
TECH Resident

Anybody?
Old 03-26-2005, 10:49 AM
Staging Lane

I get like 35-40 at idle with my stock ls6 oil pump and i run amsoil 10w-30
Old 03-26-2005, 11:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow...that is REALLY low oil pressure...i don't know what your deal is but my ported ls6 never gets less than 40 psi...it's about 70psi cold idle...and 40-45psi hot idle...full throttle it's like upwards of 80psi..i'd say something is wrong with your gauge or your car i run mobil1 5w30
Old 03-26-2005, 12:37 PM
12 Second Club

that sounds about right, i put a slp ported oil pump and get about 25 psi at idle fully warmed, yeah my car gets 40 at idle when warmed but after i drive it a while it drops down to 20-25 because the oil thins out, which is well within specs of gm, gm specs are 5psi at idle, i think 20-35 at 3500, i'm not sure on that one i'll have to look at the sheet again. i dont understand why people on here always say 20 psi is low for f-bodys when its not
Old 03-26-2005, 12:49 PM
TECH Resident

Cranked the car up this morning to run to the parts store. Made 50 at cold idle and around 50 going down the road in 5th gear until the car warmed up, then made around 35-40 in 4th/5th around town. Then finally settled down to about 35.

Changing the oil from Havoline generic brand 5W-30 to Mobil 1 0W-40 at the suggestion of Patman. We'll see how she does afterwards.
Old 03-26-2005, 07:32 PM
TECH Resident

Update: Changed the oil to Mobil 1 0W-40(thanks, Patman) and AC Delco Duramax filter(the tall one for trucks). Before pump and oil change, it was making 20-25psi in 6th on the highway. Now it makes 50psi. I am thoroughly pleased these results.

However, I am having one problem that started after the shop installed the pump. Sometimes, not all the time but sometimes, when the car is idling(mostly when it's a cold start), there is a whine coming from the engine. When you give it gas, it goes away. Any ideas?
Old 03-26-2005, 08:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by TroubledWine3
Anyways, what do you guys think of the results? Yay? Should have been more of a jump in psi? Etc.
Most believe that pressure = lubrication. This is false. Flow = lubrication. If pressure was the thing that somehow lubricated your engine then we would all be using 90 weight oil. Lubrication is used to separate moving parts, to keep them from touching. There is a one to one relationship between flow and separation. If you double the flow you will double the separation pressure in a bearing. The pressure at the bearing entrance is irrelevant.

In fact the relationship between pressure and flow is in opposition. If you change your oil to a thicker formula the pressure will go up. It goes up because the resistance to flow is greater and in fact the flow must go down in order for the pressure to go up. They are inversely related. Conversely if you choose a thinner oil then the pressure will go down. This can only occur if the flow has increased.

It seems then that we should all be using the thinnest oil money can buy. This is partly true. The gold standard is that all engines should have a pressure of 10 PSI for every 1,000 RPM of operation, not more, not less. After all, you do need some pressure to move that oil along, but only enough pressure, not more. More pressure is not better, it can only result from the impedance of oil flow. Remember that oil flow is the only thing that does the lubricating.

What am I saying here? Don't spend time worring about the oil pressure. The LS6 oil pump flows enough already for your needs, and you now know that flow is more important than pressure. Run the proper viscocity synthetic oil and you'll be fine.
Old 03-26-2005, 09:30 PM
TECH Resident

So what you're saying is: I have good flow and I'm running good oil so it's all good? LOL...thanks for the educating post, however.