Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rattling sounds.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2005, 11:03 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default rattling sounds.....

yesterday i noticed a pinging noise coming from the what seems to be left side of my engine. at first i thought i dropped a push rod, but then i realized my engine was still running. second i thought i had broken a valve spring so i took off both valve covers and checked, both sides had all of their rods and all the springs were good.

this noise only seems to happen at low rpms 2500 and less. it sounds like someone threw ball bearings in my cylinders.

could this be detonation? or maybe a really really noisey pilot bearing?

please any help is appreciated

added info....i pulled the car into the garage today to start tearing down my engine and it was making the sound pretty consistantly, so i got out my mechanics stethoscope... i checked just about everywhere you could on the engine and could not locate the noise. after doing some searches both here and a couple of other lsx.com's i was for sure thinking my timing chain was fucked, but the noise is coming from the back of the engine. also it drags *** when you first go to start it up (which is another reason i was thinking chain was bad causing it to load up) anyone have any other thoughts on what my problem could be? maybe something to do with the tranny? it usually only does the noise when i am in gear and moving, but every once in awhile it will rattle a little bit while idleing........i just dont know where to start......
Old 03-25-2005, 11:04 PM
TECH Regular

i am pretty sure it isnt a chain now being that my engine still runs and there is no loss of power at all.
Old 03-26-2005, 05:10 PM
11 Second Club

There is some TSB on that noisey prob. Oil pump. Go to your local auto shop, ask if they have alldata. If they do, have them look up TSB on engine noise 4 your car.
Old 03-26-2005, 05:19 PM
10 Second Club

I have the same issue in my pickup on the right side. It's exactly like you described. Last time I changed to oil I though I heard the plunk of a needle bearing in my drain pan, so I'm thinking it's a rocker making the noise (although that would probrably get louder with more rpms). I havn't checked it out yet, maybe tommorow.