Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom grinding a cam for my heads....need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 09:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Custom grinding a cam for my heads....need some advice

i havent seen many dyno graphs for MTI's stage 2E heads, so im having trouble picking a cam that will compliment these heads well. i know a few "off the shelf" cams that would work great. however, i found a deal where i can get a custom ground cam for a low sale price. i dont knwo any sponsors who are running cam specials now, so i thought i might go ahead and take advantage of being able to design my own....not to mention the price anyway, im workin with a stealth right now, which has some good low end and mid range. however, i know im robbing myself of some serious power my staying so conservative with the cam...given the nice set of powerful heads i have now. so i want to get more out of the heads, without sacrificing good low to midrange torque for the street. i will track my car from time to time, but its mostly a street car. so fellas, can yall recommend me some good cam specs that has good low to mid range pull, but will still pull like a freight train up top?
Old 03-29-2005, 07:14 PM
TECH Resident

With milled heads (and chances are good your's are), you are going to be limited to duration ~224* or so from info I've received from MTI unless you flycut pistons. You may be able to squeak out a little more lift than your .581 now with less duration.
Old 03-29-2005, 08:03 PM
TECH Addict

actually the heads are not milled at all. stock 5.7 heads with stock combustion chamber size with very near stock compression ratio. the bigger valves are a concern, but i talked to a few guys at mti and theyve seen bigger cams on the 2e heads with no clearance issues at all.
i dont mind a little loss of low end, so it wont bother me if the cam takes another 500 rpms or so to wake up....but id like a cam that wakes up in the mid range and pulls hard as hell all the way to the top of the hill.