Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wierd Idle after winter storage, what could be the problem?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 10:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wierd Idle after winter storage, what could be the problem?

Don't what's wrong with the car right now. I haven't made any changes since storing it for the winter besides replacing my TD's with an ORY and Hooker Catback.

I posted before about a stuttering/stumbling problem at light load, but now that seems to have cleared up. A new problem has arisen though.

In park, the car idles at around 500 rpm, in D it idles at about 450 and feels like it wants to stall out. Also, at idle, the motor shakes much more noticeably than before, I'm assuming it is because of the low idle.

I've pretty much figured out that the fuel is bad, and I've only got a quarter tank left of the ***** fuel, but is there anything else I can check now that may be causing this problem? The battery cables are secure, so it's not a loose connection. I haven't pulled the plugs yet, that is on my todo list when I get a few hours to spare.

She also misfires AFTER I go WOT, but only on occassion. My y-pipe doesn't bang hard anymore, but I can still feel it vibrating under my feet during heavy loads.

Need help please! I really feel like right now.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:18 PM
TECH Resident

Oh yeah, to clear up the stumbling problem, I dumped two cans of STP fuel treatment and one can of STP Fuel Injector cleaner in with the bad gas.

After storage, I only had about a 1/4 tank of fuel left (I started the car for 30 min every week), so it was suggested that I may have condensation in the fuel system or varnish on the injectors.

EDIT: I can also hear an audible, steady ticking noise from the exhaust now. My AIR fittings are plugged up real good. I don't know if this noise was there before, but now I am concerned that this could be a problem. I can only hear the noise at idle.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:44 PM
TECH Resident

Anyone?? Upon cold startup the idle starts at about 750, then after about 5 seconds it's back down to 500.
Old 03-31-2005, 10:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

For future reference, you may want to get gasoline perserver for when you store the car for a long period of time. I forget exactly what it is called, but you add it to your gas before storage and it keeps the gas fresh.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:29 AM
TECH Addict

Two cans of treatment for 1/4 tank of gas is too much. You should have used drygas or similar. Just fill it up for now. The new gas should help out a bit.
Old 03-31-2005, 01:37 PM
12 Second Club

Fill it up with new gas and change the oil. Like technical said should have put some drygas in it rather than the fuel treatment.

Does it stumble even after warmed up completely?
Old 03-31-2005, 10:34 PM
TECH Resident

chino_man: Yup, still stumbles after warmed up completely.

Freakynipples: The stuff is called stabifuel, but I didn't think I needed it as I was starting the car pretty regularly.

Technical: I filled up immediately after I took the car out of storage, then I added the fuel treatment. So it was to a whole tank of gas. But probably still too much.

UPDATE: I've changed the PCV valve which didn't look like it needed replacing, and cleaned the MAF with some Auto Electrical cleaner spray. Finally ran the old gas down to about 4 gallons. Filled up with 13 gallons of 93. It's only been about 3 miles on the new gas.

Nothing seems to have changed even after all this. I haven't pulled the plugs yet, I've got some NGK TR55 GPs coming in tomorrow at Murrays. Hopefully that solves the problem.

Another question though, are these the right plugs? The guy at the parts desk said they are platinum tipped, but I thought most guys were using the coppers. The parts guy said they don't carry the coppers but the platinums should work just fine. What do you think?
Old 04-01-2005, 06:31 PM
TECH Resident

Replaced all plugs except for plug 8. I'll change that later. For the first 3 or 4 miles, she ran great and idled great. Now it's right back to where it was in the beginning. I can't be running so rich that I fouled the new plugs already could I?

I got 200 miles out of 13 gallons of gas while driving in D the whole time. Mostly highway driving.

Guess I'll run autotap and see what else is going on.
Old 04-02-2005, 07:35 PM
TECH Resident

Son of a Bitch :bang

Wire #8 was off the plug!!! I can't believe it!!! Last night I changed all the plugs but 8. Didn't even try to get to it cause it was getting dark and I couldn't reach it.

Took the coil packs off and stuck my hand back there. Low and behold...wire 8 was just resting on the end of the spark plug.

Just thought I'd post this resolution so anyone searching with the same problem knows what to look for.