Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Imported Syntec 5w40?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 11:52 AM
RIP April 14, 2008

Location: the land where cars repeatedly hit my bumper when I'm in the store...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Imported Syntec 5w40?

I picked up some of the imported Castrol Syntec today from Autozone, but they only had 5w40. I got it anyway. What do you guys think about that? I know Patman recommended 0w40, and I am going to be running it through the summer months (70*'s, 80*'s, 90*'s) ... so let me know what you think! i am still a n00b when it comes to engine oil.

brad
Old 04-07-2005, 12:28 PM
RIP April 14, 2008

Question

anyone? Search reveals nothing on 5w40.
Old 04-07-2005, 03:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Belgian made 5w40 Castrol is a good oil, not quite as good as the German 0w30 but close enough. It was one of the oils I was considering if they had ever stopped bringing over the German 0w30.
Old 04-07-2005, 04:16 PM
RIP April 14, 2008

Thanks! I was hoping youd reply.

Brad
Old 04-07-2005, 04:19 PM
6 Second Club Moderator

German oil??? Why not just run AMSOIL. Better oil and made in the states! Also, unless your running your car in sub zero temps why use "0w's" ???
Old 04-07-2005, 04:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by LASTLS1
German oil??? Why not just run AMSOIL. Better oil and made in the states! Also, unless your running your car in sub zero temps why use "0w's" ???
Oh really? And what data do you have to back up the fact that Amsoil is better than the German Castrol?

Not that I use either one (Mobil 1 here), but if you're going to make some broad stroke statement like that then you better know something that rest of us don't.
Old 04-07-2005, 04:58 PM
6 Second Club Moderator

It's so funny. German oil makes it better? OK. I've raced with AMSOIL for over ten years in different motorsports. I was giving you info. I don't care if you run crisco oil in your motor. I've done my research, you do yours. If there was a better oil I would use it. BTW, I don't think any oil would ruin your motor, I just think some are better than others and one is the best! Read up and buy what you want.
Old 04-07-2005, 06:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Read up and buy what you want.
hmm....funny that is exactly what he did....
Old 04-07-2005, 06:53 PM
Staging Lane

nono. you guys missed the point..

it's not the fact that it's German, it's just called German Castrol to differentiate it from the regular 0w30.

It has nothing to do with where it's made, it's just better oil..
Old 04-08-2005, 05:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

It's so funny. German oil makes it better? OK. I've raced with AMSOIL for over ten years in different motorsports. I was giving you info. I don't care if you run crisco oil in your motor. I've done my research, you do yours. If there was a better oil I would use it. BTW, I don't think any oil would ruin your motor, I just think some are better than others and one is the best! Read up and buy what you want.
I've yet to see an oil analysis report with Amsoil in an LS1 that shows anywhere as good of a result as my analysis reports with German Castrol in my Corvette. My reports show that this oil produces the least amount of wear, by a longshot. Amsoil is good oil, but it doesn't come close to the low wear numbers of the Castrol 0w30.
Old 04-08-2005, 08:44 AM
6 Second Club Moderator

Originally Posted by Patman
I've yet to see an oil analysis report with Amsoil in an LS1 that shows anywhere as good of a result as my analysis reports with German Castrol in my Corvette. My reports show that this oil produces the least amount of wear, by a longshot. Amsoil is good oil, but it doesn't come close to the low wear numbers of the Castrol 0w30.
So you have sent in oil analysis on every oil made? Including Amsoil? I didn't think so. Put your oil to the real test. Run it for 78,000 in your tow rig. Send in for your oil analysis every three thousand miles and let me know whay you find with your german oil. Keep in mind the oil was NEVER changed for 78,000 miles. That was with a VERY dirty deisel engine. Every report came back. (keep in service). You guys type before you find out your facts. You can read for hours about oils. I'm done with this. Like I said before it makes no difference to me what anyone runs. I would be willing to bet money on the tow rig trick. Try that one!
Old 04-08-2005, 09:13 AM
RIP April 14, 2008

Thumbs up

yikes!! Hello riot control!! lol j/k. Hey LastLS1, I did a bit of research on several factors, including wear, longevity, pressure:weight variations, etc, and as Patman had said, the Syntec (imported, German) came out on top in most examples. So, coupled with his(Patman's) tests (which I trust) I reckon if its good enough for a TT Porsche, V12 Benz's etc., it'll do me better than regular Mobil 1 5w30, especially since my motor is getting up there in Miles. Now the mobil 1 Filter, is a different story. I got one of them and it seems to be MUCH better than the Fram I was using previously. So that's good too. Maybe in the future I'll try Amsoil too. That's awesome you got 78K in your Tow with it! I can't even imagine leaving my oil for 78K. Anyway I'll let you all know how it goes as I am changing it in about 2 hours.

Brad
Old 04-08-2005, 09:42 AM
On The Tree

I have used amsoil before and its not the end all beat all of oils.. I have stuck with Mobil 1.. I would consider this imported german made Castrol if someone would please explain how to properly identify the packaging to know you are getting the right product..

the amsoil filters were kewl as are the mobil 1 units.. I dont like to use fram but sometimes its all you can find at a short notice..
I usually run AC Delcos, Amsoil or Mobil 1 filters..
Old 04-08-2005, 09:54 AM
12 Second Club

*** it Im stickin with crisco,lol
Old 04-08-2005, 09:55 AM
TECH Addict

If I read one of Patman's post on the oil board correctly (could have been a whole thread). The Castrol puts up better wear numbers than Amsoil in moderate mileage runs, but may not be as serviceable for extreme change intervals. I may have read it wrong, but that was the jist I got. It seems that all of the synthetic oils will give you outstanding performance beyond normal drain intervals.
Old 04-08-2005, 10:00 AM
Launching!

anything german is made better!
Old 04-08-2005, 10:27 AM
TECH Resident

Patman, how do you test your oil? what process do you have to do to acomplish this? I'm interested in doing this myself. So maybe we can have results from numberous cars tested in real life everyday situations. thanks! -Jim
Old 04-08-2005, 10:33 AM
11 Second Club

FWIW, I run the Belgian 5w40 with a K&N 2006 filter, and it gets better pressure than the Mobil 1 5w30 w ACDelco filter I was running. The oil also looks cleaner ( not that it really counts for anything ) with the Castrol.

If I knew where to go around my area for an oil analysis, I'd be glad to get one for you guys come change time. Patman, you know of anywhere?

Note: I'd run the German 0w30 if I could find it around my area, but no Autozone here has it.
Old 04-08-2005, 11:02 AM
TECH Veteran

So you have sent in oil analysis on every oil made? Including Amsoil? I didn't think so.
You obviously don't know who you're talking to there... Patman has forgotten more about oil analysis than you or most anyone else will ever know.
Put your oil to the real test. Run it for 78,000 in your tow rig.
I know plenty of people who run their oil for 78,000 mile intervals... they fall into 4 categories: Ignorant, Lazy, Stubborn, or Just Plain Don't Care. I'd venture a guess as to which one you belong to, but I don't want to insult you.

Send in for your oil analysis every three thousand miles and let me know whay you find with your german oil.
That's exactly what guys like Patman do... send in oil for oil analysis. Have you EVER read any posts here at all about oil? I suggest you do a search for "Patman" and "oil" and see what you come up with.

Keep in mind the oil was NEVER changed for 78,000 miles. That was with a VERY dirty deisel engine. Every report came back. (keep in service).
Ok, so you never changed the oil... yay for you. But I will call BS if you say that you never added any oil in 78,000 miles. In fact, I'd be willing to bet you added at least as many quarts of oil as you would have used had you changed the oil. So the rig got fresh oil, just a little at a time instead of all at once. If you didn't have to add a drop of oil in 78,000 miles, well then sir, you need to have that engine bronzed because you just found the 8th wonder of the world.

You guys type before you find out your facts. You can read for hours about oils.
Contradicting yourself here? We type before we find facts, yet we read for hours about oil... I thought reading was how you found facts, but ok. Maybe we're supposed to learn by osmosis.

I'm done with this.
Best thing you've said in this thread so far. Let's see if you can stick to it.

Like I said before it makes no difference to me what anyone runs. I would be willing to bet money on the tow rig trick. Try that one
Good no one asked you anyway... you're happy with Amsoil, the guys in this thread are happy with their Castrol, I'm happy with my Mobil 1 and Redline fluids. But if you're going to come out with a blanket statement about how Amsoil is the best oil ever, I suggest you back it up with actual data (multiple oil analysis from multiple sources) instead of "My rig can run Amsoil for 78k miles!" as your lone source of evidence of Amsoil's blessed properties.
Old 04-08-2005, 12:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 12stones
Patman, how do you test your oil? what process do you have to do to acomplish this? I'm interested in doing this myself. So maybe we can have results from numberous cars tested in real life everyday situations. thanks! -Jim

I simply collect a small sample of the used oil when I do my oil change, I collect it in a plastic container which I get from my local oil analysis lab. In the US, one of the best labs is Blackstone, they'll send you the container to collect the oil, then you send it to them and a few days later you'll get your report. It's very informative stuff! I highly recommend getting in touch with someone like Terry Dyson, he'll walk you through your oil analysis results and fully explain them to you. His contact info is here:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/terry.html