Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rattling sound

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 12:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rattling sound

Yesterday. coming home I noticed a rattling sound coming from my car at idle. The sound is like a square (not round) chunk of metal is rattling around in some kind of metal case. Just loud metallic rattling bumpy like sounds. The sounds happen at idle and when I revved the car up to about 1500 they seem to be getting faster. They kept getting faster until about 2000 rpms. I dont know if the sound from the engine drowned them out, but to me it sounded like they stopped.

I got under the hood with the car idling and I couldnt here then from above the motor with the fan belts etc, but when I put my head to the ground just behind my front wheel they sounded really loud.

This morning the car is doing the same sounds. Ive heard on here before that rattling that increases with engine speed is a bad sign so i'm knida depressed right now. I'm not driving it around but I will probably drive it to the dealer today to get a diagnosis. The car runs exactly like it always has, no changes or decreases in power at all.

Ive tried to be as detailed as I can, please help.
Old 04-08-2005, 12:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

If it's under warranty, let them worry about it.
Old 04-08-2005, 12:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just found out that I'm on my own with this one, missed the warranty cutoff date by three months. Any suggestions as to whats wrong though?
Old 04-08-2005, 12:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The key point is whether it's SYNCHRONIZED with engine speed. If the rate of rattle is at a steady, even rate that increases and decreases exactly in response to engine speed increase and decrease, it's probably going to be an internal engine issue. Some exhaust-related sounds can increase and decrease with engine speed, but they're still not exactly synchronized. Some internal noises, like sticking hydraulic lifters, can be more pronounced in certain RPM ranges, but they're still syncronized to engine speed.

It's hard to isolate engine sounds in our engine comparments. There's so much echoing, that it's often very hard to tell where the sound is coming from. Many times I've found a sound is coming from somewhere totally different from where I was SURE it was coming from. I'd invest in a stethoscope, which you should be able to get for under $20 from any auto parts store. Touching the end of the scope to the likely sources of the noise, you should be able to isolate it. Good luck!
Old 04-08-2005, 12:59 PM
10 Second Club

I had that same problem... exactly what you're describing. It turned out to be the springs on the friction plate blew off. I only had 2 sprigngs holding my clutch together. After awhile of driving it, one of those springs took out my slave cylinder. I'd check the tranny bellhousing and make sure your cltuch is together.

I thought it was the throwout bearing for the longest time and didn't really "worry" about it until I blew up my slave. Trust me you don't want to buy a slave and the friction plate all in the same day. It starts to get pricey.
Old 04-08-2005, 01:04 PM
TECH Resident

WOW you are describing EXACTLY what issue i am having though mine isn't very loud. Most of the time I hear it after I run the car hard and it will do it for about 10mins and just dissapear! There is NO loss of power or anything just a wierd noise.
Old 04-08-2005, 01:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Vertigo
WOW you are describing EXACTLY what issue i am having though mine isn't very loud. Most of the time I hear it after I run the car hard and it will do it for about 10mins and just dissapear! There is NO loss of power or anything just a wierd noise.
My buddy has the same problem as you describe. His is farily loud tho. Automatic car.
Old 04-08-2005, 01:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine doesnt stop making the noise period.

Guess What? After listening to it again and determining that its not exactly proportional to my engine speed, I got underneath the car and what do you think I found??

2 Things:

#1: Leaking oil filter: Damn Greasemonkeys!

and more importantly:

#2: Then engine mount had no nut on the end of it, just a bolt through it!!!

Im pretty sure that this is what is causing the noise, i'll let you guys know when I get a nut back on it later today.
Old 04-08-2005, 01:30 PM
10 Second Club

Good to know, glad it's nothing to serious.
Old 04-08-2005, 03:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

if you have catts in your exhaust, it could be a broken peice of the catt rattling around in the case as well...just a thought..

Jon
Old 04-08-2005, 03:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thats what I originally thought as well, sounds just like that. Well, i'll let you all know later tonight after I replace this nut. If it is a cat thats making the noise is it OK to drive it tonight? I got a date and dont want to drive the Oldsmobile
Old 04-08-2005, 03:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by '02 WS/6
Thats what I originally thought as well, sounds just like that. Well, i'll let you all know later tonight after I replace this nut. If it is a cat thats making the noise is it OK to drive it tonight? I got a date and dont want to drive the Oldsmobile
ya its ok to drive...i would atleast..