Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP Lifter Tool Stuck

Old 04-11-2005, 09:26 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HELP Lifter Tool Stuck

I am doign a cam swap and a friend of mine lent me his home made lifter tool. The passanger side tool is bound up big time just after the second cylinder. How the hell do I get it out? I am afraid to pull to hard, I don't want to damage the block or lifters. If I have to I'll buy new lifters, not a big deal, but do i risk damaging the block?

The heads are off, but the cam is back ordered so I was attempting to use the lifter tool so that I could put the top of the motor back together in the mean time. I shouldn't have been so impacient.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i can't help with the problem...and you should probably post a picture, but you should leave the lifters out until the cam swap...it makes it soo much easier
Old 04-11-2005, 11:25 AM
LS1 Tech Veteran

1. Try putting the old cam back in the engine and rotating the cam and see if it helps unbind the rod.

2. Don't use a lot of force. Try rotating the rod clockwise and counter-clockwise and wiggling and jiggling.

3. Don't beat yourself up too much.

4. You'll get this worked out. Be as patient as you can.

All my best,

Steve
Old 04-11-2005, 11:39 AM
Restricted User

Depending on what its made of, this might prove to be a time absorbing task. I had the JPR Tool when it first came out, worked fine on my 2000, then tried it on a buddies 2002, different lifters and it stuck all the way in. I ended up breaking both the handles off the rods pulling. I clamped a vice grip on the end as close to the block as possible and began using the block as a fulcrum and basically pried the rods out 1/8th to 1/4" at a time. It sucked. No damage anywhere inside, luckily the rods are a way softer aluminum than anything else they contacted, but I did about pull my hair out when they stuck. Good luck.

Charlie
Old 04-11-2005, 12:14 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by CAT3
Depending on what its made of, this might prove to be a time absorbing task. I had the JPR Tool when it first came out, worked fine on my 2000, then tried it on a buddies 2002, different lifters and it stuck all the way in. I ended up breaking both the handles off the rods pulling. I clamped a vice grip on the end as close to the block as possible and began using the block as a fulcrum and basically pried the rods out 1/8th to 1/4" at a time. It sucked. No damage anywhere inside, luckily the rods are a way softer aluminum than anything else they contacted, but I did about pull my hair out when they stuck. Good luck.

Charlie
I had the did the same thing. The JRP tool worked great on a 98 but I got them stuck all the way in my 2000. Handles ended up coming off and I pulled it out with channel locks
Old 04-11-2005, 12:28 PM
LS1 Tech Veteran

I am getting ready to install new Comp lifters, a custom ground Comp cam, pushrods and adjustable rocker arms and some heads that I've ported, . Now, I'll be pulling the heads, but while I'm into it I'm going to do some investigation for the folks here in the forum on the dimensions of a tool that won't get stuck, etc. I've got the dimensions on the JPR tool, and I'll be checking out clearances, etc. while I have everything apart.

1. What is the difference between the older and newer style lifters?

2. Do you have any thoughts on making a tool that won't get stuck with the older or the newer style lifters?

Steve
Old 04-11-2005, 01:09 PM
10 Second Club

The first few JRP tool were not round on the edges. That's why they were getting stuck
Old 04-11-2005, 05:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CAT3

Charlie
Same thing with me on my first 2001 car . But I was lucky, I was able to pull them out. for me the JPR tool was a piece of .
Old 04-11-2005, 06:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

I used home made ones from steel rods. The passenger side took a lot of twisting and light smacking with a rubber mallet. I don't think I damaged anything. Car doesn't make weird noises and all seems well. This was back in January.
Old 04-11-2005, 06:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

If they fit that tightly, whittle them down a hair with a grinder and repolish.

Search this Thread