Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Break in revisited

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 09:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Break in revisited

Looks like I am ready to fire up my new motor.

First, I have gone back and checked the previous posts on the subject,, It seems the biggest agreement is to use a decent non synthetic oil and change it very often for the first 3000 miles.

There seems to be some dissagreement when it comes to the break in proceedure though.. What has been found to be the most successful way? Some say go easy, others break them in hard.

I would love to hear from some engine bulders or others that have gone through this in the past.

My motor by the way is a Darton block 427. I would like to do it right. Way too much time and money invested to screw it up now..

Thanks in advance for your input.

Old 04-13-2005, 06:47 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My motor will be done by next week.

I plan to break it in on the dyno by having the car flatbedded over there.

After spending this much mula, I want it right too.

I'll do the initial warmup in the garage.

The key ( from what I've read ) is you only have the first 30 miles or so to seat the rings.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:20 AM
Launching!

Hi: After You get the motor started and do the initial startup and cool down a few times I would just take the car out on the the Highway for a good 50 mile run. Vary the speed and rpm a lot. I would say drive it moderately hard I would not baby it but I would not open it up all the way right away maybe Like 1/2 to 3/4. When I broke in my 3.1 V6 resently this is what I did. I did a few moderately hard accelerations from 55-80 mph. After a 1,000 miles I changed the Oil and the motor is running good now. I ran some Marvel Mystery oil in the gas for a few tanks to help seat the valves. I did not use any oil additives in the oil. I figure If you take it out on the highway right a away it is better, so that the engine gets warmed up and the rings seat in properly. Hope this helps.
Old 04-13-2005, 12:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

vary rpm, keep engine loaded at med rpm, do not lug engine around town i.e. high load low rpm, change oil after 500 miles then every 1000 miles for the first 3500
Old 04-13-2005, 01:43 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 123 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Darton MID break in procedure

Regarding your Darton MID break in procedure. I wrote the break in procedure for these engines which is posted at the Darton web site.

http://www.darton-international.com/main_fr.htm

Click on "Services" then "Publications and Manuals" on the left side of the screen. Then click on "LS1 manual".

Manuals are in pdf format.

Read the instructions regarding coolant, lubricants, break in and head retorque. Heads should be retorqued when the engine cools down after the first start up. I recommend you drive the car around town to get the engine good and warm. Drive home and let it cool down overnight. Then retorque the heads the next day.

Most of the instructions are applicable to any rebuilt hi performance engine.

Steve

Originally Posted by fastbasser
Looks like I am ready to fire up my new motor.

First, I have gone back and checked the previous posts on the subject,, It seems the biggest agreement is to use a decent non synthetic oil and change it very often for the first 3000 miles.

There seems to be some dissagreement when it comes to the break in proceedure though.. What has been found to be the most successful way? Some say go easy, others break them in hard.

I would love to hear from some engine bulders or others that have gone through this in the past.

My motor by the way is a Darton block 427. I would like to do it right. Way too much time and money invested to screw it up now..

Thanks in advance for your input.

760-630-0450
web: www.raceenginedevelopment.com/
e-mail: race-engine-development@***.net
Old 04-13-2005, 07:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

To all those that posted, thanks for the info.

Steve, I will be studying the info tonite. Had you not provided the info, I doubt I would have retorqued he heads. Thanks for the assist!