Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cam question

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 10:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default cam question

how hard is putting a cam in. talked to a shop today and said its realy hard. how long does it take. put headers and y pipe in yesterday and it took 5-6 hrs. never done a cam before. any help would help. thanks Troy
Old 04-13-2005, 11:06 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tboysen00
how hard is putting a cam in. talked to a shop today and said its realy hard. how long does it take. put headers and y pipe in yesterday and it took 5-6 hrs. never done a cam before. any help would help. thanks Troy
Check out LS1HowTo.com's cam and valve spring swap article. Click here!

It isn't that hard if you have all of the tools at hand.
Old 04-13-2005, 11:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

This would be better in the internal engine section, might get more help.

A lot of people on here do their own, I will when I get one. It'll take a while, but can be done yourself. Definitely worth it to save the money. There are some good write ups on cam install's, do a search to give yourself an idea of what it'll be like.
Old 04-13-2005, 12:42 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Originally Posted by Keenov
Check out LS1HowTo.com's cam and valve spring swap article. Click here!

It isn't that hard if you have all of the tools at hand.
That website will be a huge help, when I get around to putting my cam in, thats what Iam going to use as a referance. As far as dificulty goes, I believe that its mostly time consuming. I say that its worth a try, cause shops charge a lot of money for an install.
Old 04-13-2005, 01:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you allot yourself two 10-12 hour days, you should not have a problem doing it your first time.
Old 04-13-2005, 02:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe not even that much...i had never done any work and i did an oil pump timing chain swap in about half that time or less i can't really remember..but i split it up among a couple days...it's not hard...just time consuming...you CANNOT try to do this in a budgeted time limit...it will always take longer than you think...and because of little things you never expect...i took off the intake once and didn't have the proper tools...i needed a deep socket 10mm or an extension to make it easier...it took 30 minutes prolly to do one bolt in the back (#8 cylinder)and about 20 minutes to do the one in front of it...this last time i took the intake off in about 20-30 minutes...not 3 hours haha
Old 04-13-2005, 05:03 PM
Staging Lane

I was a newbie a few months ago when I installed mine. I used LS1Howto.com's instruction manual which is a must, Advanced Auto spring compressor (I just cut off the handle) and Auto Zones crank puller. I did waste sometime running back and forth to the parts store to get the corrct parts. I ended up renting every pully puller they had after the first one was the wrong one. I didn't want to take the risk and you get your money back so why not? I started about 11:00am on a Wednesday stopped @ 1:00am on Thursday. After getting back to work on Thusday I had it running by noon.. Everything went super smooth after I had the right tools which wasted about 3 hours. If you have everything in order and you have the right parts, I think you could have it done in one very very long day. I f not 1 1/2 days. Good luck!!