Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Instructions on pulling the engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2005, 09:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Instructions on pulling the engine

Does anyone have step by step instructions on pulling the engine or have a link for a writeup online? I'm down to just the motor mounts and the tranny attached but I'd be MUCH more comfortable having something with exact instructions. I'm gonna be pulling the engine out of the top and have been advised that once I pick it up I should turn it and then be able to pull it out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-16-2005, 10:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go to Barnes and Noble and pick up How to Build High Performance Chevy LS1/LS6 by Will Handzel. Literally step by step instructions of how to remove the engine with numerous pictures. It also has a ton of other information that will keep you occupied for days.
Old 04-16-2005, 11:07 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not to shoot your idea down but it is WAY eaiser to take it out the bottom and less time only takes an hour maybe two if it is your first time. Look under my past post and I gave a quick how to a while back I have some pictures posted of it along with a list of every thing you need. Two drive on ramps an engine hoist and a couple of jacks. Just a suggestion from an experienced person. Good luck how ever you do it though.
Old 04-16-2005, 11:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Inspector12
Not to shoot your idea down but it is WAY eaiser to take it out the bottom and less time only takes an hour maybe two if it is your first time. Look under my past post and I gave a quick how to a while back I have some pictures posted of it along with a list of every thing you need. Two drive on ramps an engine hoist and a couple of jacks. Just a suggestion from an experienced person. Good luck how ever you do it though.
Allergik - I'll definitely check that book out. Can never have too many of those.

Inspector - Do you happen to have a link? I'm not sure what you mean by searching your past post. But I'm open to any ideas on how to take it out, especially if it's easier and I can find the means to do so.
Old 04-17-2005, 01:14 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, drop it, don't pull it. Here's JRP's and two others:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/288183-engine-dropping-instructions-needed.html

Don't use cinder blocks like one guy did; those things can crumble unexpectedly under the weight of a car; ask me how I know! Use old steel wheels or the "lincoln log" 2x4's to make your jackstands higher. Harbor Frieght sells a nice lift cart that is even better than a dolly, and much better than a pair of jacks to roll out the engine/tranny combo.

Lift table:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=41145
They often have these on sale for much cheaper.

Last edited by Cal; 04-17-2005 at 02:11 AM.
Old 04-17-2005, 01:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Judging by these pictures and write ups, people pull it by leaving it attached to the front suspension and pull that whole thing out... is there any way to just pull the engine (and trans. if need be)? I absolutely do not have money to buy any jacks or motor stands. I have a hoist to get the engine out so I am just trying to work with that.
Old 04-17-2005, 05:50 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you take it out the bottom, it has to come out with the K-member attached (what one guy was calling the "cradle.") You should have jacks and jack stands already, right? Those are pretty basic to doing anything on a car and not expensive. You can use the hoist to lift the car off the K member, rather than lift the engine. The only thing you might not have is a dolly, but those can be had pretty cheap also. Some even use a furnature dolly.

But if you must lift it out the top, you'll need to be carful not to break the oil pressure sensor behind the intake, on top of the engine. It will also be a lot easier without the intake and heads on the engine.
Old 04-17-2005, 05:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I pulled out the top last time but I removed the tranny heads and intake, I like the idea of going out the bottom and might try it next time though.
Old 04-17-2005, 05:58 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Inspector - Do you happen to have a link? I'm not sure what you mean by searching your past post
I mean click on my name and it will have a list of thing you can do like send a PM etc... CLick on the one that says find all post by inspector12 and go back a few pages and scroll through the headings and llok at the one that mention pulling motors etc... I did a quick write up in one that was pretty complete and I have a few pick there so that people could get the idea and maybe figure out something simular on there own etc... If you want instructions over the phone give me a ring (713)302-0737 Jeff I am working nights so don't call untill tomorrow after 11:00 am or so .
Old 04-17-2005, 08:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ok, I just found it after searching for a bit. But, just to make things clear, you left the tranny and everything still attached to the engine when you dropped it? You just unbolted the K-member from the car, the brake lines, and adjoining suspension components and dropped it out? Did you drop it out just enough to get the tranny exposed and then disconnect the tranny or did you leave the tranny attached the whole time?
Old 04-17-2005, 08:14 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

It depends on what I'm doing I've done both I do all my motor swaps this way along with other stuff.
Old 04-17-2005, 08:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

It being my first time, which do you recommend? I feel it would be a pain in the *** to try and unbolt the tranny while the engine is still up in there. If I dropped it first with the tranny still on, could I lower it just enough to get to the hard-to-reach bolts to get that off or would things start to bend/break? I'm not too familiar with how all of that comes apart.
Old 04-17-2005, 08:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Cal
If you take it out the bottom, it has to come out with the K-member attached (what one guy was calling the "cradle.") You should have jacks and jack stands already, right? Those are pretty basic to doing anything on a car and not expensive. You can use the hoist to lift the car off the K member, rather than lift the engine. The only thing you might not have is a dolly, but those can be had pretty cheap also. Some even use a furnature dolly.

But if you must lift it out the top, you'll need to be carful not to break the oil pressure sensor behind the intake, on top of the engine. It will also be a lot easier without the intake and heads on the engine.
The intake, heads, and all of the accessories on the front of the engine are off. All that is left is the shortblock that is still bolted down and connected to the tranny.
Old 04-17-2005, 09:16 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Well you can just take the trany bolts off and then the TC bolt off like you were going to do originaly now ,you won't save any time now just access. Good luck.
Jeff
Old 04-17-2005, 09:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks, I may give a call if i need any help.