Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GMPartsDirect.com?

Old 04-17-2005, 10:16 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default GMPartsDirect.com?

Anyone out there have any experience w/ these guys, good or bad? I have a modded LS-1 and I am looking at a new crankshaft, 2 rods, two pistons, all the bottom end bearings, etc.

My guy doing the work seems to be quoting me list prices from the Chevrolet dealer across the street from him (where the Service Manager is a friend of his, by the way). He tells me he is giving me "his cost" on these parts, but quoted me $780 for the crank. GMPD quotes $523 including shipping for the same part? Are these guys for real? Or are they fake parts, seconds, or something?

Any advice appreciated.
Old 04-17-2005, 10:20 AM
TECH Junkie

I bought my 1LE sawybars from them. No complaints at all.

-Mike
Old 04-17-2005, 10:38 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They are for real....

They have a FAQ page and it answers a lot of the concerns you have.

I've bought A LOT of replacement parts through them.....the prices are low but the shipping is what gets ya.
Old 04-17-2005, 10:45 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by sscam68
They are for real....

They have a FAQ page and it answers a lot of the concerns you have.

I've bought A LOT of replacement parts through them.....the prices are low but the shipping is what gets ya.

I agree, but note the $250 savings on the crank includes the shipping. Just seems like too huge a difference to be true, that's all.
Old 04-17-2005, 11:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Why don't you support a sponsor, Scoggin Dickey Parts Center. www.sdpc2000.com. I can almost guarantee you their prices will be less than GM Parts Direct. Bigger selection also. Remember the sponsors keep this board up and running.
Old 04-17-2005, 11:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

gmpartsdirect is the best site, it gives all the dealership prices and then cuts them like 40-60%
Old 04-17-2005, 12:24 PM
FormerVendor

I just used SDPC and have used gmpartsdirect in the past. Check out the for sale section here also. Always good things in there.
Old 04-17-2005, 12:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have purchased from them too. prices are great, but shipping adds (as most state). Even though the price of shipping is "padded", the overall price is still way lower than any dealer in my area. Cali (especially L.A.) dealers are may more expensive that other dealers. Until I found them, I was ordering my parts from some out of state dealers because their price plus shipping was always cheaper than the LA dealers. Not to mention that most of my local dealerships are morons with attitudes. THere are a couple of good performance ones in Orange County, but I havent found any good ones on LA.

REcap: GMparts direct good for original gm parts, but the sponsors pay to keep this site up, so they should be looked at before ordering. Sometimes individual gaskets or bolts are more expensive, but kits are cheaper.

D
Old 04-17-2005, 12:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The price gmpartsdirect sells for is what my dealer's computer shows to be their Dealer Cost. The Service Manager friend you refer to probably gets some kind of employee discount at his dealer. Everyone I know around here that works at a GM dealer can buy parts at either 10 or 15 pct. over dealer cost. Doesn't sound like they are passing much savings on to you.

Search this Thread