Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Troubles...HELP

Old 04-18-2005, 10:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Car Troubles...HELP

1999 Z28 M6 105,000 miles

alright, well ever since i raced this WRX (win by the way)and went slightly into the slashed area (normal and red) of the tach but def. not into the all red zone (didnt hit rev limiter), i have heard a little ticking sound coming from the engine. when i rev it, it goes faster and when i idle, it keeps a steady pace. so i went over to a friends house who are good with these cars and they said it was rod knock, which i think i understandable, i thought i needed to lube my belt, hahaha.

so while picking up my window motors and rear end fluid and stuff, i gave them my license and got the code scanner, it gave me p0300 or p 300, which they said is individual or multiple cylinder misifre.

my question is, how can i know which one it really is, hoping its not both? from your personal experience, which one do you think it is? could i have broken a coil pack or sumn, i have checked my plugs by the way, which are tr55s with msd wires if that helps. also, if it is rod knock, does that mean its time for a cam? please, any help is appreciated and also let me know how i did on the car info and symptoms, etc. im only a month into the car.

ps: could i hurt anything by driving like this?

pps: if i do get on it which is only to maybe 3k rpms, everything feels there, doesnt feel like a cylinder is shut down and i have riden in a car with a cylinder down at WOT, if that means flooring it, a plug wire wasnt on all the way.

ppps: if it is time for a cam, wat would you guys recommend for me, what is good for powerful daily driving, im reading that FM13 is awesome. also what should i do for surrounding valvetrain? comp 918 springs, send my rockers to harlan sharp?

thanks again dudes.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check all plugs and plug wires. I'd use this as an excuse to change them all out with new. If the problem still persists. I'd go as far as pulling the rods to see if one or more is bent. If you didnt mechanically over-rev the engine or bounce the rev limter I dont see a real reason you would have bent a pushrod. But you never know I guess.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrandonSS
Check all plugs and plug wires. I'd use this as an excuse to change them all out with new. If the problem still persists. I'd go as far as pulling the rods to see if one or more is bent. If you didnt mechanically over-rev the engine or bounce the rev limter I dont see a real reason you would have bent a pushrod. But you never know I guess.
i checked the plugs and wires, evereything seems well there, they are pretty new, turns out its taylor wires and ngk tr55s. are checking pushrods hard, is it easy to tell?
Old 04-19-2005, 12:01 AM
TECH Resident

Taylor wires are rumored to be notorious for giving headaches. I would start there with some AC/Delco plug wires. From there pull the valve covers and see if you have a loose rocker. Not sure if these cars have problems with the springs like my L67 did.

I'm sure someone with more knowledge will chime in.

Oh and as for the pushrods... once you get them out you should be able to tell if they are bent. A 100% flat surface would tell you and I'm sure there are other ways.

Then again I could be leading you down the wrong path. It could be many more things so I'd try to leave it parked and if you must drive it. Be very easy on it until you find the source of the problem.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:15 AM
TECH Resident

Yikes... just read this thread above yours...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/308422-found-my-misfire-problem-pushrod.html

Maybe I am on the right track after all
Old 04-19-2005, 12:26 AM
On The Tree

When you say rod knock I hope you mean pushrod. Easy to check for a bent push rod. Just pull the valve covers and check the rockers for one that's loose. You don't have to over rev a motor to bend a pushrod especially ones with >100k mi.. An actual spun rod bearing shouldn't give you a misfire code, but a bent pushrod definately will. Good luck finding the problem.
Old 04-19-2005, 02:18 PM
Staging Lane

Jason, sounds like a bent push rod. It's really not that big of a deal, but yes you do need to fix it asap. you chance bending the rod more, bending a valve or even braking it (the rod) all together. It's not that hard of a job to change. Just remove the coil packs and valve covers and which ever rocker or rockers is loose, thats the bent rod. You can also pull all of them out and roll them across a table top. It only takes a couple of hours or faster when you've done it a couple of times. Hope this helps, let me know if you have anymore questions.....

-Kevin
Old 04-19-2005, 02:45 PM
11 Second Club

Sounds like a pushrod to me.
Old 04-19-2005, 03:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks guys, this is what i think it is, but keep the responses coming.

good thing i only drive this thing about 45min/day tops

Search this Thread