Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Splay Valve

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 09:07 AM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Oil Splay Valve

Is there any way to check/determine if the oil splay( sp??? ) valve at the back of the black has been installed or not?

I am helping a guy finish installing the motor that he build and can not remember if he installed it or not.

Keith
Old 04-19-2005, 01:54 PM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

Anyone.....
Old 04-19-2005, 02:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

are you speaking of the cover that seals the oil galleys at the back?
Old 04-19-2005, 02:41 PM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

The plastic plug with the o-ring in the back.

Keith
Old 04-20-2005, 01:58 AM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you can see the plastic end of it through the front oil filter hole with a flashlight. Or if it has really low oil pressure.

That plug seals pressurized oil from an internal leak at the back of the block, it also forces unfiltered oil into the oil filter on one side, and on the other has filtered oil.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

This is better suited for the internal engine section.
Old 11-27-2009, 02:11 PM
TECH Addict

I attached a picture of the "valve" - I think it looks more like a plug... and a picture of the back of the engine block. I believe this plug goes in one of the big holes to the right of the crank.

I think this is on the same plane as the crank position sensor, which also comes in from right (passenger) side. I seem to remember having to twist the crank position sensor to get it out... is that because the oil plug was in there? If that's the case, you can probably check by looking in the crank position sensor hole with a flashlight, right??

I am starting to second guess myself... I really don't remember putting that plug in!

Originally Posted by ls1290
Is there any way to check/determine if the oil splay( sp??? ) valve at the back of the block has been installed or not?

I am helping a guy finish installing the motor that he build and can not remember if he installed it or not.

Keith
Attached Thumbnails Oil Splay Valve-block1.jpg   Oil Splay Valve-block2.jpg  
Old 11-27-2009, 02:22 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by FastKat
I attached a picture of the "valve" - I think it looks more like a plug... and a picture of the back of the engine block. I believe this plug goes in one of the big holes to the right of the crank.

I think this is on the same plane as the crank position sensor, which also comes in from right (passenger) side. I seem to remember having to twist the crank position sensor to get it out... is that because the oil plug was in there? If that's the case, you can probably check by looking in the crank position sensor hole with a flashlight, right??

I am starting to second guess myself... I really don't remember putting that plug in!
1) I'm pretty confident there is a plug on the driver side which is drilled diagonally upwards to supply oil to the lifters. It'll be just above the oil filter. If you take that plug out, you will be able to see if the "valve" (barbell plug) is installed or not.

2) This post was started about 4 1/2 years ago...I'm sure they got it figured out.lol

Last edited by KCS; 11-27-2009 at 02:37 PM.
Old 11-27-2009, 03:26 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks for posting that pic. I understand now. I think the pic I posted up was of the front of the engine, not the back of the engine.

Originally Posted by KCS
1) I'm pretty confident there is a plug on the driver side which is drilled diagonally upwards to supply oil to the lifters. It'll be just above the oil filter. If you take that plug out, you will be able to see if the "valve" (barbell plug) is installed or not.

2) This post was started about 4 1/2 years ago...I'm sure they got it figured out.lol

Quick Reply: Oil Splay Valve