Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

to all real mechanics and shop owners

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 01:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default to all real mechanics and shop owners

ok guys i got a question for the real pros in here, not wanabees *cough* *cough* like my self *cough* lol . ok i need to change my heads and every single shop i talked to tells me that to change the heads is like 11-15 hours. That doesn't seem right to me, i ask one of the guys if that time was taking out the engine, and he told me that was only for the heads, and quoted me like 1k for the job according to the computer. I already asked on here and was told by most people around $500 for the job but i just wanted the pros in here to tell me just what computer this local guys are looking at or what are they smoking over here in south florida.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:17 PM
Banned

We normally charge $600 to R&R heads on the car. It is a good 8 hours of labor when done right. We scrape all of the carbon off the pistons, and clean every single bolt hole before reinstallation.

- Matt
Old 04-26-2005, 01:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TTPMatt
We normally charge $600 to R&R heads on the car. It is a good 8 hours of labor when done right. We scrape all of the carbon off the pistons, and clean every single bolt hole before reinstallation.

- Matt
cool thanks
Old 04-26-2005, 03:06 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cleaning the bolt holes is the most boring process.
I have heads of guys doing it in 3 hours, but thats BS, unless you just fly through it and torque the bolts to whatever you arm tell's you is good.
Matt is probally right on, normally a 7-9 hour job if you dont get a lot of people distracting you.
Old 04-26-2005, 03:15 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JZ'sTA
I have heads of guys doing it in 3 hours, but thats BS, unless you just fly through it and torque the bolts to whatever you arm tell's you is good.
Matt is probally right on, normally a 7-9 hour job if you dont get a lot of people distracting you.

if i were a paying customer i'd spent a bit more on labor that was done right and thorough then save a couple of bucks and have potential problems and have to go back and fix the work that should of been done right in the first place.

i dont remember off hand how long it took me to install my heads.
Old 04-26-2005, 03:58 PM
TECH Resident

we charge $600 labor for just a heads swap and plan for an 8 hour job
Old 04-26-2005, 04:04 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have them do studs while they are at it . . . those aluminum threads are only good for one time around at that kind of torque, imho. At the very least they should be chased out, and that's time consuming too. Swapping heads on a LS1 is definately something you don't want to rush through. Get a shop that has done it before, or study up on it and do yourself, slow and methodical
Old 04-26-2005, 04:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jrp

if i were a paying customer i'd spent a bit more on labor that was done right and thorough then save a couple of bucks and have potential problems and have to go back and fix the work that should of been done right in the first place.

i dont remember off hand how long it took me to install my heads.

I wrote my sentence incorrectly.
I ment to say I have seen threads where guys have done the job in 3-4 hours, and was calling BS on this.
Doing it correct the first time is the only way to go.
Just clearing that up because of my fast typing and non proof reading self.
Old 04-26-2005, 04:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Cal
Have them do studs while they are at it . . . those aluminum threads are only good for one time around at that kind of torque, imho. At the very least they should be chased out, and that's time consuming too. Swapping heads on a LS1 is definately something you don't want to rush through. Get a shop that has done it before, or study up on it and do yourself, slow and methodical

agreed, studs are a extra piece of mind.
Old 04-26-2005, 07:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You will have to remove the motor to install or remove heads from the head studs. I know of one shop that drops the motor from bottom for just a cam install. They say it is easier that way.
Old 04-26-2005, 07:52 PM
pdd
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by gollum
You will have to remove the motor to install or remove heads from the head studs.
not true in my car. i have the arp studs and just put my head on and it clears the studs just fine
Old 04-26-2005, 08:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry. I was thinking F body only.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:37 PM
10 Second Club

it took me and a friend about 10 hours to swap the heads on the wife's car.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can install the heads on stud in the car on a vette or f-body. Dropping the motor would be so much unecessary work for a cam swap. I agree that 8 hours is a pretty good guesstimate to swap heads. It does take a long time cleaning out the bolt holes and piston before reassembly. Studs are definately a good thing.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:14 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When you pull the heads, some coolant will go down some of the head bolt holes. If you leave it in there or forget to blow it out, and put the head bolts back in, it splits the block!
Old 04-26-2005, 10:25 PM
wrencher

I think all the normal everyday shops you talk to will charge full book time. They usually wont cut a deal on a job, thats how they make money. The sponsors shops on the otherhand do these all the time. They know this job well from doing alot of them. They got it down & can wip them out from experience, so you can get a better price from them.
I think that is the answer you wanted?
Old 04-26-2005, 10:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wrencher
I think all the normal everyday shops you talk to will charge full book time. They usually wont cut a deal on a job, thats how they make money. The sponsors shops on the otherhand do these all the time. They know this job well from doing alot of them. They got it down & can wip them out from experience, so you can get a better price from them.
I think that is the answer you wanted?
well as far as price i already got a guy on this site thats doing the job for a pretty good price, i was just asking casue it seemed really od that a head swap on the ls1 would take close to 2 days to do. Aleast according to what the local shops have told me, i remeber that i put this mottor together in like 2 days a year and a half ago so i just couldn't see how the heads would take almost as long as the whole block. well actaully it took me more than that casue i had to have somone else put in the oil pan casue i din't have the aligntment tools but the rest of teh work me and a buddy did took about 2 days. And that was 2 days of a with a beer brake like every hour lol.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:08 PM
wrencher

That why it pays to shop around! Lots of places are like that, they're not gonna go out of there way for the job. They will quote the job according to what book time says.
Your better off w/ someone who does LS1 heads all time anyway.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:28 PM
TECH Regular

Is it worth pulling the old heads yourself? That could save a couple of hours labor. Tow or drag it to shop after...
Old 04-27-2005, 12:11 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by JZ'sTA
I have done over 30 set of head on LS1 cars and for a good shop with a good experienced person it shouldn't take more then 4 hrs. It takes about 30 mins more if you are using studs. If it is old style gaskets it takes a bit longer also to get the mating surface clean. I always clean the carbon from the pistons and check the block for being straight. This process always consist of cleaning threads too. I do it the fast way though. A friend of mine took a stock head bolt and made a groove on both sides of the bolt. Take a impact and run the bolts done till they stop. Pull the bolt out and the grooves are full of ****. Do it again if need be. 4hrs at most for me.

Originally Posted by gollum
Sorry. I was thinking F body only.
No matter if it is a vet or a F-body the heads will go on with studs in. If you still have the A/C box in an F-body you have to take the lower 2 studs out of that side before sliding the head on and then screw the studs down manually after the head is on.

Originally Posted by Builder
Is it worth pulling the old heads yourself? That could save a couple of hours labor. Tow or drag it to shop after...
Don't do this because stuff gets lost. Not intentially but it will happen. Let the person that took it off put it back together in every case. This works for damn near everything in life. It works out for the best that way. I have had to clean up peoples messes before and it is not fun.