Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cranks

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 08:30 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cranks

Is there any reason that you couldn't order a custom crank with say...SBC rod journals to make SBC rods work perfectly in an LSx block? As long as the main journals are matched to the mains of the LSx block, should this not be acceptable? I'm sure someone will say that it's easier to just do it the right way and go with an LSx specific crank, rods, and pistons, but I am forever thinking outside the box (or at least trying to).
Old 04-28-2005, 08:42 PM
TECH Veteran

with $$$ you can do anything.......you COULD have someone grind a billet, one off crank........
Old 04-28-2005, 09:50 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by 2001CamaroGuy
with $$$ you can do anything.......you COULD have someone grind a billet, one off crank........

Well, reason I asked, there are other crank manufactures out there that don't always get mentioned and some of them do make LSx cranks. LAE is one of them (I know they've changed company names a while back and I'm not sure who they are now or if they are even in business) but if they have a base product setup that the end user does spec out, yes, it'll cost you some more $ but I can't believe that it would be THAT much more.

Didn't know if anyone has had this kind of experience or had tried this route.
Old 04-29-2005, 12:24 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

isn't the location of the bores relative to the crank more the issue?

The rod journals are more or less the same size as an SBC, but they live in space differently under the bores
Old 04-29-2005, 12:36 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know before I went with the Lunati set up I was checking around and SCAT makes custom cranks. They also make several versions of LS Cranks, including billet. Expensive though...

D
Old 04-29-2005, 04:02 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by sb427f-car
Well, reason I asked, there are other crank manufactures out there that don't always get mentioned and some of them do make LSx cranks. LAE is one of them (I know they've changed company names a while back and I'm not sure who they are now or if they are even in business) but if they have a base product setup that the end user does spec out, yes, it'll cost you some more $ but I can't believe that it would be THAT much more.

Didn't know if anyone has had this kind of experience or had tried this route.
No, I haven't. LA Enterprises (I believe they don't do this any longer) may have been a reseller/finisher of Childs & Albert. And, I think C&A uses Callies forgings.

Interesting that I stumbled across Mr. Callies (sold company), who now works with Morel. He actually had another suggestion. PM if you want to know who he suggested.