Sponsored by:

AFR heads for forced induction

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 10:15 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question AFR heads for forced induction

Hi guys,

I have a set of WCCH heads on my car that I bought through A&A Corvette (they are labeled as the A&A Stage II cylinder heads). If I understand correctly they are modified LS6 heads. I had them CCd when I pulled them off the car for my TT install and they hold right around 72cc, which in conjunction with my pistons gives me a nice 9.3ish:1 CR which is good for mild boosting.

One of the things I've heard a few people comment on is the AFR heads' quench area which reduces the likelihood for detonation (always very important to keep an eye on, but arguably more important on an FI application). One guy even said he was able to add another 6 degrees of timing into his tune as a result of the AFR head swap.

So my question is this. Given that I want to start upping the boost (currently running about 9psi, I think I have room to at least go to 12psi VERY safely), is the AFR head a good choice for me? Or should I leave well enough alone with my current cylinder heads? I think the current AFR 205s have quite a bit fewer CCs than my current WCCH heads, and in fact I'm not even sure that AFR makes a head with about 72cc that would fit on my LS6 block (stroked to 383, no extra bore).

I'm adding methanol injection to the mix to help cut down on any detonation I might see as I start upping the boost, but methanol won't kill detonation altogether... so if swapping heads will give me a decent gain in power and also reduce the likelihood that I'll have to rebuild my motor due to detonation, I'd consider it.