Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the Real Deal with Sleeved Blocks?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 07:33 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What's the Real Deal with Sleeved Blocks?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iv-internal-engine/316900-what-s-real-deal-sleeved-blocks.html
Old 05-04-2005, 07:38 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

check the links in my FAQ and PM/Email Steve Demirjian
Old 05-04-2005, 08:02 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jrp
check the links in my FAQ and PM/Email Steve Demirjian
Hi Jerami,

Thank you, that's good info. I have read your FAQ before (all of it) and I understand the sleeve process in it's entirety. I have also read Howard's info and Steve's website. What I would like to understand now is the dependability/reliability factors with sleeves (Darton or other). I would love to have the extra cubes, but not at the expense of reliability, and am asking folks that have (or had) sleeved blocks to tell me about their experiences...good or bad.

Regards,
Old 05-04-2005, 08:03 PM
TECH Addict

I can have sleeving done safely to 4.100, IMO there isnt enough material in the block to support anything bigger dry sleeve wise. When it comes to wet sleeves only stick with the state of the art high end shops like previously mentioned.
Old 05-04-2005, 08:25 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Bo White
I can have sleeving done safely to 4.100, IMO there isnt enough material in the block to support anything bigger dry sleeve wise. When it comes to wet sleeves only stick with the state of the art high end shops like previously mentioned.
Thanks, Bo. If I can get comfortable with sleeves, I will probably go with the wet style and will stick with one of those shops. Do you happen to know...what is the highest number of miles someone has logged on a sleeved engine?
Old 05-04-2005, 08:38 PM
TECH Addict

Well, the ones I have seen that were done here are as old as 8 years and still going. Anything from boat engines to 400 sbc's have been done with great success. When it comes to sleeving the way I know how I would limit it to a N/A car or maybe a small shot here and there, but other than that very reliable. A properly done dry sleeve is the one that you cannot tell if it had been done or not other than the size , like it came that way from GM.
Old 05-04-2005, 09:36 PM
TECH Regular

Well, the ones I have seen that were done here are as old as 8 years and still going. Anything from boat engines to 400 sbc's have been done with great success. When it comes to sleeving the way I know how I would limit it to a N/A car or maybe a small shot here and there, but other than that very reliable. A properly done dry sleeve is the one that you cannot tell if it had been done or not other than the size , like it came that way from GM.
Wow, 8 years?! I had no idea. Yes, I don't intend to go with forced induction or N2O. The N/A HP goals, if reached, are going to be at the limit of what will work in this 2200# car. But, you know how that goes.
Old 05-04-2005, 09:47 PM
TECH Addict

Properly done sleeves are like part of the block when finished. Like I said, you cannot tell its had anything done to it since GM had their grubby hands on it
Old 05-05-2005, 09:52 AM
TECH Regular

Properly done sleeves are like part of the block when finished. Like I said, you cannot tell its had anything done to it since GM had their grubby hands on it
LOL! Okay, thanks!
Old 05-10-2005, 05:50 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Builder
LOL! Okay, thanks!
TTT...