Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stuck valve spring locks

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 05:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default stuck valve spring locks

I've tried all the stuff i have to get them out but i cant get one loose. I tried hitting them w/ a dead blow hammer, a socket but nothing works. i'm useing the same tools i used to change them before. if its any help they are comp 918's w/ TI retainers and stock locks. I have the heads off the car right now so accessing them isnt a problem. any other tools you may suggest? Thanks for any help

JR
Old 05-05-2005, 05:13 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ouch! if the heads are off the engine you'll need a valve spring compressor(head off type) pepboys $34.chances are your're using the wrong style spring compressor as the valves are opening while springs are being compressed.
Old 05-05-2005, 05:24 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JRcamaroZ28
I've tried all the stuff i have to get them out but i cant get one loose. I tried hitting them w/ a dead blow hammer, a socket but nothing works. i'm useing the same tools i used to change them before. if its any help they are comp 918's w/ TI retainers and stock locks. I have the heads off the car right now so accessing them isnt a problem. any other tools you may suggest? Thanks for any help

JR
What valve spring compressor are you using? Try pushing the valve up with you hand from below. The heads are off the car. This shouldnt be hard unless your using some type of leverage tool and are flopping around on the bench with the head.
Old 05-05-2005, 05:50 PM
TECH Resident

i'm useing my t-handle spring comressor, same tool i used to take them off the last time w/ out any problems. i did try holding the valve in but to no success. i'm gonna run down to the parts store and get a head off type one. thats what i was figguring just didnt want to buy something i may have not needed.

JR
Old 05-05-2005, 08:14 PM
Banned

i'm useing my t-handle spring comressor, same tool i used to take them off the last time w/ out any problems. i did try holding the valve in but to no success. i'm gonna run down to the parts store and get a head off type one. thats what i was figguring just didnt want to buy something i may have not needed.

JR
T handle? what the hell is that
Old 05-05-2005, 08:21 PM
11 Second Club

compress the spring and the valve sticks out from under the head right? well just tap the head of the valve and vualla. its not rocket science.
Old 05-05-2005, 08:40 PM
TECH Regular

I use a regular hammer and hit the valve tip with no spring compressor on it and then colapse the spring and all mine came loose.
Old 05-05-2005, 09:14 PM
11 Second Club

I think the key is keeping the valve stem/locks centered in the retainer. I had a hard time at first while using a spring compressor rented from autozone. When I switched to a comp cams spring tool it was much easier to keep everything centered.

If you can compress the spring with everything centered and push/tap the valve up from below they should POP right off.
Old 05-05-2005, 09:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you can tap on the retainer instead of the valve. That ussually frees them up.
Old 05-06-2005, 05:24 AM
Launching!

a strong magnet or a finger but never a hammer works for me.
Old 05-06-2005, 06:09 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SUX2BU
its not rocket science.
no ****, i've done this many times before on all types of heads and never had them stick like this before.

JR
Old 05-06-2005, 11:18 AM
Banned

no ****, i've done this many times before on all types of heads and never had them stick like this before.

JR
Was there an oiling/cooling issue with the motor are the ******* things welded together by heat and friction?
Old 05-06-2005, 11:22 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are the heads still on the car? If so, put the piston at TDC, then just compress the spring until the piston hits the valve and it will pop loose.
Old 05-06-2005, 11:23 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
Was there an oiling/cooling issue with the motor are the ******* things welded together by heat and friction?
lol, I doubt it. Still no luck, I take it?
Old 05-06-2005, 11:28 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Cal
Are the heads still on the car? If so, put the piston at TDC, then just compress the spring until the piston hits the valve and it will pop loose.
heads are off the car. He's binding them up when he compresses. My advice is make a larry or tim tool or buy a real tool like the crane and make your life simple for now and future..
This really isnt that difficult. Its simple physics. OR he's yanking our chain here.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:00 PM
TECH Resident

i'll get them apart tonight or tomorrow for sure when i get time. i got a different spring compressor to do the job. like i said before i kept the valve up to no help. I have done it this way before just this one time i had the problem. getting to the point i'm sorry i even asked.

and why the hell would i be yanking your chains on this? i have better things to be doing than making up stories on the internet.

JR
Old 05-06-2005, 12:04 PM
Banned

relax it was a joke, you got many good responses with different ways to help you, you have no gripe
Old 05-06-2005, 12:07 PM
That's what she said...

here's the tool i used when i had my heads off, my uncle turned it down at work on a lathe and it works awesome.......and it was FREEEEEEEE

all you do is chuck it up into a drill press, then place the head on somthing soft (and at an angle such that the valve points straight up) on the drill press base. you can adjust the height of the tool by sliding it up and down in the chuck. once you get the head where you want it, you pull down on the drill press handle and it smashes the spring straight down and it's easy to hold and nice and smooth. if you have a buddy ( like blaSSt ), things will go even easier
Old 05-07-2005, 02:16 AM
TECH Resident

I had the same problem, could not get the compressor to break them loose. I have a valve spring compessor that looks like a huge C clamp. I tighten it up on the retainer and the other on the valve head. It won't break it loose, but I clamp it down until it has a lot of pressure on the retainer and spring. When it is tight, I give the compressor a whack with a plastic hammer right on top of the retainer, works every time.
Old 05-07-2005, 06:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

IF the valves have floated a time or two the locks get a little tougher to get off.Get
a socket that is slightly smaller than the retainer od hit it sharply with a brass hammer
to lossen the locks,remove as usual.

Quick Reply: stuck valve spring locks