Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pressure problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 06:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Exclamation Oil pressure problem

Ok, I have noticed that ever since I installed my new cam, my oil pressure is lower then normal. I installed a dual roler timing chain too. I used the spacer plates behind the oil pump. I put RTV on both sides like the instructions said to do. I pulled the old oil pickup tube O-ring and looked it over very good. It is the blue one. I could not find anything wrong with it. I had to reuse it because I could not find a new one localy. I was very carefule not to cut it while instauling the pump back on. I am positive it did not get nicked.

Now before the cam swap, It would idol with 38 psi hot at 650 rpm and instantly jump to 60+ psi when you throttle the engine. Now, It still idols at 38 psi hot, but the engine is at 900 rpm. When I throttle it it goes up to 50+. I made 3 passes today at WOT and it did reach the 80 psi mark, but it takes it longer to do this then before. All I can figure is the new cam might have some extra clearence on the bearing surface then the old one, or the old o_ring is not sealing as tight, or the spacer plate behind the oil pump is slightly leaking, or because the pump had to be shimmed out from the block and the pick up tube is in a slight bind, then the pump might be slightly distorted. Last posibility is this, I did remove all the oil pan bolts except the rear two that are very long. I just loosened them some. When I lossened them up, I noticed oil leaking from the back of the pan. I have no idea how this is biult back there but it looks like the oil filter goes into the pan itself. I wonder if any of those seals got hurt? Worth noting is I have driven the car for a week now and there are no external leaks anywere at all.

So what do ya'll think? Is this slight oil pressure drop something comin with a cam swap or what?
Old 05-13-2005, 06:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Anyone?
Old 05-13-2005, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, maybe I am just being parinoid. I just went outside and started it back up. It had 45 psi at idol cold. I let it idol with the A/C on for about 30 minutes. It still has 40 psi at idol with the oil good and warm. It holds 60 psi at 3000 rpm. And shoots well over 60 when I throttle it from 3000. Now I did not get it as hot as it was earlier today. But even then when I would make a pass the oil pressure still went over 60 to maybe 70, and it shifts at 6000 rpm right now. I was watching the engine jacket water temp with a scanner at that time and the temp got up to 225 after three back to back passes through all 3 gears. So I am sure the oil was cooking pretty good. I bet I just need to change the oil and anytime I run the oil to high temps it is going to fall down to 30 or 35 psi when I come to a complete stop in gear.

So final verdic, I am just being parinoid. I just have too much money in this car to screw it up from a cam install.