Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rattling at WOT

Old 05-19-2005, 12:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattling at WOT

Sometimes when I hit about 4k rpms at WOT there's a rattling noise coming from under the hood. Sounds like the driver's side. It only started after I Seafoamed my car and it doesn't happen very often.
Anybody have any ideas on what it might be?
Old 05-19-2005, 12:59 PM
12 Second Club

pinging maybe?
Old 05-19-2005, 02:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by PG45
pinging maybe?
Do you know why using Seafoam would cause pinging?

Thanks
Old 05-19-2005, 02:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Welcome to the club. I've got the same thing and it's detonation. I pulled my spark plugs and found a fair amount of oil on the threads of #7. I took it to G-Force and they ran a compression and leakdown test, both of which turned out OK. My guess is the lovely PCV system on these cars has let a fair amount of oil into the system. You could try running colder plugs, or getting a tune from someone who knows what they're doing (or do it yourself, if you know what you're doing).

-Mike
Old 05-19-2005, 08:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pinging maybe?
That's what it was on my car. I thought it was the header banging something at wot, but when I was getting it re-dyno tuned, my tuner immediately found it to be severe pinging.
Old 05-19-2005, 11:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

pinging maybe?
Thats what I think,It's possible to get pinging with out ank KR. Does the rattling sound kinda like a bunch of BB's striking something?
Old 05-21-2005, 04:47 PM
Teching In

Default Sh*t

Originally Posted by SmaknSS
Thats what I think,It's possible to get pinging with out ank KR. Does the rattling sound kinda like a bunch of BB's striking something?
Thought it might have been a heat shield (since i just took it off for a master cylinder install) but that sonofabitch is on tight, so it's not the heatshield. It DOES sound like little pebbles (or bb's) hitting something and it's only at WOT.

So now i'm worried (one more thing to worry about).

My question is this: How would my car be running lean w/ the VERY slight mods that I've got done at this point? Do some stock cars run lean as well? And wtf do i do at this point? Do i need to get a tune JUST to stop this pinging?

Thanks guys/gals!

- Jeff
Old 05-22-2005, 01:22 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ws6firehawk109
Thought it might have been a heat shield (since i just took it off for a master cylinder install) but that sonofabitch is on tight, so it's not the heatshield. It DOES sound like little pebbles (or bb's) hitting something and it's only at WOT.

My question is this: How would my car be running lean w/ the VERY slight mods that I've got done at this point? Do some stock cars run lean as well? And wtf do i do at this point? Do i need to get a tune JUST to stop this pinging?

Thanks guys/gals!

- Jeff
my car only has a smooth bellow, and it does that. So I ponly put 93 in it,and I noticed a difference, but not a complete stop to the WOT noise. I need to get it tuned, just never get time.
Old 05-23-2005, 03:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ws6firehawk109

Thanks guys/gals!

- Jeff
My car also runs lean with just a lid and some exhaust mods. I'm going to get it tuned as soon as I can save up some money.
Old 05-23-2005, 03:45 PM
TECH Resident

Holly crap That is EXACTLY what my car does up around +5K rpms!! Sounds just like a few BB's hitting something metal every now and then. Is a tune the best way to alleviate this problem?
Old 05-24-2005, 12:51 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Vertigo
Holly crap That is EXACTLY what my car does up around +5K rpms!! Sounds just like a few BB's hitting something metal every now and then. Is a tune the best way to alleviate this problem?
Aside from staying away from the high RPMs... yes
Old 05-24-2005, 07:53 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TTTA
Aside from staying away from the high RPMs... yes
Can you tell me just what has gone bad with the tune to cause this to happen? Timing?, air/fuel ratio?, etc???
Old 05-24-2005, 06:51 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Vertigo
Can you tell me just what has gone bad with the tune to cause this to happen? Timing?, air/fuel ratio?, etc???
Duno the cause but the answer is to tune it. I had to unplug my MAF and it runs much more rich and I have no rattle at WOT, maybe you should try that if you are worried about it.

I guess the speed density has a more rich tune?

Search this Thread