Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help ASAP!!! Cam install....

Old 05-21-2005, 07:07 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Question Need Help ASAP!!! Cam install....

I started my cam install this afternoon and it's going pretty good so far. I'm using the guide on ls1howto.com and now I've run into something. I'm at the point of pulling the radiator out and I've got everything disconnected that the guide told me to, but then I see there is two hard lines going into the radiator on the passenger side. One's on the top and one is on the bottom. I disconnected the top one and nothing came out, so I started to take out the bottom hard line and transmission fluid starts gushing out! Both of the hard lines run from the radiator to the transmission, so I assume my car came from the factory with a tranny cooler? It's an A4 btw. If I disconnect the bottom hard line, is my transmission fluid going to all drain out? I didn't know the radiator had tranny fluid in it. Any suggestions? How much fluid is going to drain out? I can't get the radiator out with the line attached, just don't want to f**k anything up. Thanks!!!!
Old 05-21-2005, 07:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will lose "some" tranny fluid when you disconnect those lines, but it's not going to empty your transmission of fluid. When you're done with the installation, check your fluid level and add as indicated. You shouldn't lose more than an quart or two at the most.
Old 05-21-2005, 08:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I didn't know the tranny fluid cooler was integrated into the bottom of the radiator. In fact I didn't even know these cars came w/ a tranny fluid cooler...pretty cool.
Old 05-21-2005, 08:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is off topic but how does your magnaflow on the Tahoe sound? My wife would like a little rumble on her Taho but she hates how loud my magnaflow is (although I'm on LT's, ORY, and a big cam).
Old 05-22-2005, 08:56 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Red99TA
This is off topic but how does your magnaflow on the Tahoe sound? My wife would like a little rumble on her Taho but she hates how loud my magnaflow is (although I'm on LT's, ORY, and a big cam).
It sounds really good. Mellow at idle and part throttle, but it will bark under WOT . And there's no interior drone, which the wifey likes a lot.
Old 05-22-2005, 08:58 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Red99TA
I didn't know the tranny fluid cooler was integrated into the bottom of the radiator. In fact I didn't even know these cars came w/ a tranny fluid cooler...pretty cool.
It sure shocked the hell out of me! There's no external cooler for the tranny, so I didn't think they came with a cooler. I wonder if that means the radiator for the automatic cars is different than the manual cars?
Old 05-22-2005, 09:27 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jmm98LS1
It sure shocked the hell out of me! There's no external cooler for the tranny, so I didn't think they came with a cooler. I wonder if that means the radiator for the automatic cars is different than the manual cars?
Radiators for auto cars have been made like that for over 70 years now! All of them! Auto tranny won't live without it. Yes you will lose fluid, don't reuse it! Good time to flush tranny.

This really should've been part of your plans. Do you have a stall converter?I'm guessing not. If the cam is of any size at all, then you absolutely will need a stall! What about a tune? Most aftermarket cams need tuning.

And if you do the stall, it won't live without an external cooler in addition.

Did you get an oil pump too? Springs? Good time now for a pulley! List starts to grow now doesn't it?
Old 05-22-2005, 11:55 AM
10 Second Club

Ya what he said. Youwill loose a little fluid but not much. They have been made this way for a long time. It's no biggy.
Old 05-22-2005, 12:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You may want to cover the ends of the lines with Saran wrap and elastic band on each just to keep dirt out. Also, cover the radiator as well.

Good luck with the installation.
Old 05-22-2005, 12:28 PM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

Someone posted a pic of an F Bod radiator cut open to reveal the tranny cooler a while back. Amazing how little there is to it, but if it wasn't there the trans wouldn't last long.
Old 05-22-2005, 02:15 PM
Launching!

yep all the auto trannies are like that, but it is very suggested to get an aftermarket unit, they are 50-100 bucks and will add a longer life to your tranny, as heat is the major killer of autos, and like he said, don't put in a higher stal convertor without one. As for the other stuff-thats up to you, personally I have the "if it ain't broke don't fix it mentality" Why spend money on something that may last a very long time. Sure the il pumps can go out, but then again it might not. I guess it depends on how much money you have and if you feel like ripping that stuff off again to replace it when you could easily do it now. Same goes for the timing chain, some guys cross their fingers and hope it holds, if it doesn't then you could have some bent pushrods or other damage, then again some people install cams on a stock chain with over 100,000 miles. When I had my LT1 everyone said replace the opti while your there, this was after my waterpump leaked out the weephole for 10,000 miles all over that thing, but I left it cause I didn't have the money, and it lasted till the car died with well over 100,000 miles.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:16 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by rstmeredZ
Radiators for auto cars have been made like that for over 70 years now! All of them! Auto tranny won't live without it. Yes you will lose fluid, don't reuse it! Good time to flush tranny.

This really should've been part of your plans. Do you have a stall converter?I'm guessing not. If the cam is of any size at all, then you absolutely will need a stall! What about a tune? Most aftermarket cams need tuning.

And if you do the stall, it won't live without an external cooler in addition.

Did you get an oil pump too? Springs? Good time now for a pulley! List starts to grow now doesn't it?

No worries man, I've done my homework. The ported oil pump, springs, pulley, ls2 timing chain and pushrods are going in too, and I'm getting it tuned. Don't need a converter...I'm swapping to m6 very soon anyway. Just asked the question about the radiator because it caught me by surprise since this is the first automatic car I've ever owned & worked on (though not for much longer), so didn't have any experience w/tranny coolers & such. Not fair to make assumptions, huh? Some will bash me for putting a cam in before swapping trannies, but who cares. Found a killer deal on parts that I planned on getting anyway, so they're going in.
I'll try and get a vid up when it's all done. Thanks for everyone's help!
Old 05-24-2005, 05:33 AM
Teching In

Cool, good luck.
How big of a cam did you go with, anyway?
Old 05-24-2005, 09:11 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by rstmeredZ
Cool, good luck.
How big of a cam did you go with, anyway?

Thanks man. I went with the GMPP ASA cam.....226/236, .525/.525 110lsa. It won't get driven a whole lot with the stock A4 before the m6 swap, but I know a few other A4's that are running this cam with the stock converter and it actually does pretty good once you raise the idle & tune it a bit.

Search this Thread