Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This SUCKS-new engine = knock

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2005, 08:15 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This SUCKS-new engine = knock

I got my engine back in the car and actually started to get excited about hearing it run for the first time in a long time. Up until this I've just been pretty subdued because of all the damn money it has cost me for this rebuild Anyway, I started the car up without exhaust after I cranked it a few different time till I seen oil pressure. Soon as I started it I seen about 40 psi so I thought that's cool so I put everything else back on and started again. This time I could hear what sounded like piston slap, not bad but enough I was surprised. Still not a big deal becuase it started to go away after it warmed up some, this I expected. I shut it off to check the coolant again to make sure there are no leaks. It sets for a little while and I start it again, instantly it doesn't want to start, turns kinda slow then it fires and it starts knocking! S O B! Well, I already know it's obviously a rod or main but I feel it has something to do with the rods most likely. I even had them sized on the big and small ends, checked my side gap after installed yadda yadda. Anyway, I got to hear the turbo again for a few short seconds and I'm going to pull it and take it straight to my engine builder I used to use for all my circle track race engines. This is the first of about 8-10 engines I have built that I have ever had an issue with and it makes me sick! I just can't get past the feeling that the "deal" I got on e-bay from raceparts was to good of a deal and the shop I took the rods to didn't check the overall width of the big ends and there might have been some deviation there. I didn't ask them to check the width though so it certainly isn't there fault! It's mine for trying to get a "deal"! Such is life, apparently I'm not meant to enjoy this damn car this summer! BTW, the LPE GT7 cam sounds like a stocker
Wolfee
Old 05-22-2005, 11:04 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I figured some of the people on the FI list that are following my build up might want to read this, what ever! Guess I can't tell them about it because of the **** admins.
Old 05-22-2005, 11:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Sorry to hear that, I had similar issues to deal with on my first rebuilt. After that I decided it was better to get shortblocks, balanced and assembled than having to deal with what you (and I had).