Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on AFR 225 on my 427

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 06:45 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Opinions on AFR 225 on my 427

Ok all what is your take on the afr 225 series on a darton 427? I am wanting to make at least 550 to the wheels do you think the heads are going to be enough.
Old 05-23-2005, 07:00 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by chevydan
Ok all what is your take on the afr 225 series on a darton 427? I am wanting to make at least 550 to the wheels do you think the heads are going to be enough.
Hell yeah, they will kick ***. However you might want to mill them. TPIS did a comparison on a 422ci engine and they picked up some HP when they were milled .035. There is an article in the June edition of Hot Rod in the test n tune section. According to the article TPIS milled them and did minor flow work, but I called TPIS and they told me they only milled them. I have a set of them for my 402 and the the CNC is excellent, car should ready in the next couple of weeks.
Old 05-23-2005, 07:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would be a nice setup. Of course you want to check the deck height before you think about milling. I personally would wait until the LS7 heads and intake come out and see how they perform and the price. I have a feeling that setup will be the ****.
Old 05-23-2005, 07:47 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree.
The LS7 heads will be based on a 4.125 bore.
If you want something now the AFR's will be great, if you want something in a year the AFR's will still be a great choice, but the GM heads might be better.
Nobody knows.
You cant go wrong with the AFR heads.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:03 PM
6 Second Club Moderator

Originally Posted by JZ'sTA
I agree.
The LS7 heads will be based on a 4.125 bore.
If you want something now the AFR's will be great, if you want something in a year the AFR's will still be a great choice, but the GM heads might be better.
Nobody knows.
You cant go wrong with the AFR heads.
You can't go with them at all! I've been waiting since December for the 62 cc.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:19 PM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Guys...

Lou (LG) made 550 RWHP+ with a very mild cam in a Darton 427 build up a couple of months ago.....he calls it his "gentleman's" cam....LOL (for real!). Quite a few guys have gotten there (or close) with 402 buildups. With a FAST 90, a cam in the 240 ish range, and the typical bolt-ons, I'm thinking hitting 550 RWHP in a 6 speed car should be reasonably attainable....more if the combination is dialed in.

Regarding the LS7 stuff, it will require notching pistons, custom intake (or LS7 intake), all the special rocker gear, valve covers, etc., etc. I view it as a conventional BBC guy stepping up to a Big Chief set-up. Very expensive endeavor when you really take the time to think it all thru. While I anticipate good results based on early flow estimates, it will probably be awhile till parts become cheaper and readily available for the conversion.....and I still anticipate a pretty big hit to the wallet when the smoke clears. But it is good for our hobby that GM has built this cylinder head....that is the direction of the future and it certainly looks bright.

Regards,
Tony M.

Quick Reply: Opinions on AFR 225 on my 427