Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wut to do? (2)

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2005, 03:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wut to do? (2)

sorry to those who didnt like my last post, im new at this but here goes...

I bought my dream car a 98 trans am bout 9 months ago, thought it was incredible but later on i realized it has too many miles on it. Ive just recently began to put some money together and i want to start modifying the car. I want to get it to the point to where it can still drive on the street but i can beat just about any car thats thinks it is fast.

Its a black 98 trans am. Its got K&N air filter, flowmaster tips, and the previous owner tried to do the ram air modification?(dunno if that helps or not?) Right now its got about 95 grand on it in miles, so hopefully i dont run into major problems anytime soon??

I wanna put a ram air hood (anyone know where to get one cheap??) on it and air lid, its got the stock 16" chrome rims on it but i want bigger rims mayb 18's?, i prob need a new clutch soon not sure which to buy, from the previous feedback i got ill prob put longtube headers on it?, and eventually after more mods i was thinking mayb a procharger??

But before i do that what should i do to the car to make the street beast that i want to make it???????????
Old 05-27-2005, 03:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Do all the free mods 1st, then depends how much money u got? You could do a forged 346 with spray or a low compression motor with some boost. But if you wanna just keep the motor u have now you can do spray, I have heard alot of people spraying past 100k on there LS1. A supercharger u could do, but i would run on low boost just to insure your rings(same with nitrous, no big shot unless you have one hellva tune), damn GM and there hyperutetic pistons are nothing to be happy about either
Old 05-27-2005, 03:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You need to decide what your final goal is. If you want to end up with a FI car start saving now and build a low compression forged motor. If you dont want to go with a FI setup, start with all the bolton's and get your self a good head/cam package. I've already spent about 8,000 on whats in my sig and I still have about 5-6k left. A clutch would be a must with any of the two setups. Go into the external section and read all jrps stickeys about the boltons that will get you some more info. just my .02. good luck.
Old 05-27-2005, 04:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a black Ram Air hood for sale that will fit your car. PM me if interested.
Old 05-27-2005, 04:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you really want to be able to beet 99.9% of what you come across on the street you will need FI or spray on top of all bolt ons and a cam, possibly heads. Cheapest/easiest way is to spray it. Either way you should, at minimum, get forged pistons/rods with new rings and rod bolts just to be safe. You will spend a fair amount of money to do it right. A forged shortblock alone is thousands of dollars.
You could just do all the bolt-ons, clutch, drag radials, cam and nitrous but to do it "right and safe" you will need a 12 bolt, suspension mods, forged bottom end, etc. In other words, it gets expensive in a hurry.
Old 05-28-2005, 04:21 PM
Teching In

Default interested

Originally Posted by gollum
I have a black Ram Air hood for sale that will fit your car. PM me if interested.
yea im interested cause i love the way they look and wish i had one on my car. How much???