Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

confusing MAF question

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2005, 03:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default confusing MAF question

Could someone possibly explain to me why my 99 z28 chugs and rungs generally bad wit the MAF plugged in, but when I unplug it (i get a check engine lite) the car runs 10 times better? no hesitation or anything. Does this sound like a bad MAF? Could a bad MAF be able to screw up the car but not trip an SES?

Thanks
Old 05-28-2005, 03:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Old 05-28-2005, 04:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a bad or dirty MAF. Swap it with one from another F-body and see if it goes away. It runs better unplugged because you are going into a "limp home" speed density program. This will allow you to get where you need to go to make the needed repairs. In this case the back up program is better than your MAF.
Old 05-28-2005, 06:04 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Beast96Z
Sounds like a bad or dirty MAF. Swap it with one from another F-body and see if it goes away. It runs better unplugged because you are going into a "limp home" speed density program. This will allow you to get where you need to go to make the needed repairs. In this case the back up program is better than your MAF.
I just had this exact same problem last week. Mine wouldn't even idle; it died unless the MAF was unplugged. Take our your MAF and clean the wires with rubbing alcohol and Q-tips. Mine was as good as new afterward.