Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CAM Selection???

Old 06-01-2005, 01:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAM Selection???

got an '02 SS A4 and im wanitn to install a CAM and a stall.
the car will already have full exhaust and intake
if i want to do a cam what all will i need besidesthe stall???

my buddy has a Patriot 231/237,595/595, 112 in his 2000 TA M6 and it sounds real nice and seems to perform pretty well. It hits a lick big time!!!

im wantin to go with a cam around that size, probably not any bigger and could be a hair smaller but not much at all cuz i still want it to lope pretty good

what do yall have in mind???
i wanna do it rite the first time even if it cost me

i was expecting the cam,stall,accesories,tune, and installation to be roughly $2000-$2500...
does that sound about rite???
Old 06-01-2005, 01:10 PM
11 Second Club

www.futralmotorsports.com

I'd suggest the F13 or F14.

A cam "package" (pushrods, springs, retainers, cam) is around $700. That doesn't include the gasket set ($100ish) and timing chain ($100ish) If you're going to get the LS6 intake manifold, look at another $500. Longtube headers? Another $500 or so dollars. The converter is about $500-700. You're going to want a shift-kit and gears, right? Dyno tune is also a few hundred dollars.

You'd better double that price estimation.

Mike
Old 06-01-2005, 01:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thats a great pic in your sig, kraest!

Anyway, 1le, i too would suggest an f-13 on a 114, 112 if you want more lope. by saying you have full exhaust, I assume you have LT headers. If you can, do the install yourself and save huge ammounts of money, especially the cam...
Old 06-01-2005, 01:42 PM
7 Second Club

i would suggest 114 for an auto... im about to pull my hair out to get my cam to have a decent idle
Old 06-01-2005, 02:52 PM
Launching!

Sorry, off topic but...

Kraest, you just make my day with that pic!
Old 06-02-2005, 11:15 AM
On The Tree

well... thinkin of goin with

-F13
-MTI C1 or C2

not real sure on cam or stall yet???
its a daily driver and its automatic so......

i just want good all around performance with some good power and a lopey idle
maybe somewhat aggressive but not too crazy

i just dont want to put a cam in that is too big or a bad selection where i am constantly havin problems
just want to install it and set everything up and not have to mess with it too much

basically just tryin to setup a good street car with decent power
Old 06-02-2005, 11:19 AM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1LE LS1

-F13
-MTI C1 or C2

i just dont want to put a cam in that is too big or a bad selection where i am constantly havin problems
just want to install it and set everything up and not have to mess with it too much

f13 or f9 sounds good
Old 06-02-2005, 11:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

What about the TR224 114? From my research it is a great cam for auto and makes decent power.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kraest
www.futralmotorsports.com

I'd suggest the F13 or F14.

A cam "package" (pushrods, springs, retainers, cam) is around $700. That doesn't include the gasket set ($100ish) and timing chain ($100ish) If you're going to get the LS6 intake manifold, look at another $500. Longtube headers? Another $500 or so dollars. The converter is about $500-700. You're going to want a shift-kit and gears, right? Dyno tune is also a few hundred dollars.

You'd better double that price estimation.

Mike
I agree with this. F13 cam is badass and you would want order a lot of your stuff from futarl, because there price are great.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Blue Hawk
Sorry, off topic but...

Kraest, you just make my day with that pic!

I wish I was that LS1 motor!!
Old 06-02-2005, 12:29 PM
On The Tree

the F13 seems to be the most popluar choice from most of the people i have talked to
but i am still lookin into it

when i do the cam, i plan on doin everything while im at it except for gears and a shift kit
but i may have the gears before i do it not sure yet
and im still unsure about a tune
Old 06-02-2005, 12:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 1LE LS1

-F13
-MTI C1 or C2

IMO, the C2 would be a much better cam for you. That F13 looks too aggressive for the heads your are using (I'm assuming your using stock heads). The C2 has the 112 deg lobe seperation which will give you the nice lope your wanting.

Of course, If you plan to upgrade to stage 2 heads someday, then the F13 may not be a bad choice. But for the street and stcok heads, I would chose the C2.
Old 06-02-2005, 06:38 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 10SECDWS6
IMO, the C2 would be a much better cam for you. That F13 looks too aggressive for the heads your are using (I'm assuming your using stock heads).
I'm using the stock unported heads and the F-15. How is the F-13 too aggressive?

Mike
Old 06-02-2005, 10:47 PM
Banned

I'm using the stock unported heads and the F-15. How is the F-13 too aggressive?

Mike

Because you have way too much lift for your heads. There is only so much flow that you can stuff through that little area between your valve stem and your port id. Increasing the lift of your cam does nothing. You might get some power from the added duration, but not much. And you will lose more on the bottom end of the power band. Again, this is just my opinion. If you do the research, you will find plenty of people w/ stock heads, and a baby cam that are making just as much power as you are. It also cracks me up to see guys picking these monster cams and using them w/ stock heads. You gain very little if any. If you want a monster cam, you need the heads to match.
Old 06-03-2005, 08:05 AM
7 Second Club

so i guess the gx4 and T-rex and MS3 are all worthless with stock heads
Old 06-03-2005, 08:06 AM
11 Second Club

Because you have way too much lift for your heads. There is only so much flow that you can stuff through that little area between your valve stem and your port id. Increasing the lift of your cam does nothing. You might get some power from the added duration, but not much. And you will lose more on the bottom end of the power band. Again, this is just my opinion. If you do the research, you will find plenty of people w/ stock heads, and a baby cam that are making just as much power as you are. It also cracks me up to see guys picking these monster cams and using them w/ stock heads. You gain very little if any. If you want a monster cam, you need the heads to match.
My car will make 430ish rwhp with all the bolt-ons (aftermarket TB, underdrive pulley, etc.) And that's through the IRS/Vette Drivetrain. Show me another Vette that made more than that with cam-only who had a baby cam. That's what I thought. Kthxbye.

The fastest cam-only car is a 24x/24x duration cam who dynoed 440+ to the wheels. Guess he should have gone with the 220/220.

Mike
Old 06-03-2005, 08:06 AM
7 Second Club

when you start running 10.2's on a 224-230 durations cams you tell us all
Old 06-03-2005, 08:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

My car will make 430ish rwhp with all the bolt-ons (aftermarket TB, underdrive pulley, etc.) And that's through the IRS/Vette Drivetrain. Show me another Vette that made more than that with cam-only who had a baby cam. That's what I thought. Kthxbye.

The fastest cam-only car is a 24x/24x duration cam who dynoed 440+ to the wheels. Guess he should have gone with the 220/220.

Mike
Typical "My shlong is bigger than yours thinking"

Originally Posted by HPT
A new naturally aspirated stock internal LS1 record has been set. Keith is the first to go 10's with a 10.98@119 on a 1.42 60'. The car is a 97 firebird shell with an LS1 transplant and a radical open loop speed density tune using nothing more than an Enhanced IO interface cable and version 1.5 of HP Tuners VCM Suite.
Stock internals.

This is just an exemple of the many ways to get power and that a big cam is not the only answer. COMBO is

Last edited by PREDATOR-Z; 06-03-2005 at 08:17 AM.
Old 06-03-2005, 08:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sorry that is simply not right. You also tried to justify your wrong info with research. However, if you did the research yourself you would know that your info was incorrect. At least you did say to search. That way people won't be selling their ~235 duration .600 lift cams that are making 425rwhp to get a 224 that makes 390rwhp
Old 06-03-2005, 08:59 AM
TECH Resident

I'd put on your flame suit if I was you, because you're about to get flamed.

Search this Thread