Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bent pushrod?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 02:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bent pushrod?

I have a 98 LS1 with 90,xxx miles on it and a loud ticking noise just started. I still have a warranty on the car til 100k and when i took it in for a dead AC, i mentioned a slight ticking noise to the service manager when i brought it in. When i picked up the car he said it was "nothing to worry about, just the lifters making the noise, all Camaros do that". The noise got alot louder in the past 2 days. I searched other threads and found similar problems caused by bent pushrods, but im just double checkin here before i take it to Chevy for another inspection and pay warranty deductibles.
Old 06-01-2005, 02:24 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you miss a shift, or over rev the engine in any other way? Is it a constant ticking, or worse when first starting? Usually a bent pushrod is caused by something you did, they don't bend themselves. If you didn't do anything, I'd tend to think a lifter is going bad.
Old 06-01-2005, 02:56 PM
Staging Lane

Its a constant ticking that is at idle and increases as revs do. I didnt miss a shift, possible over rev at the track though, but that was a couple weeks ago. There was a slight misfire a couple days ago also, but that was the only time.
Old 06-01-2005, 03:12 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98silverSS
Its a constant ticking that is at idle and increases as revs do. I didnt miss a shift, possible over rev at the track though, but that was a couple weeks ago. There was a slight misfire a couple days ago also, but that was the only time.

does it do it when the ac is off? my buddy had a bad idler pulley that was making a simular noise. ive however bent about 10 pushrods so far. when mine were bent, it made absolutley no power after 5200 rpms. it was clear as day to feel.

changin out ur pushrods is not a very big deal, where in tampa do u live?
Old 06-01-2005, 03:23 PM
Staging Lane

it does it with the AC off too. ill check the top end power on the way to work today, hehe. i live south of tampa in riverview.
Old 06-01-2005, 06:08 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds kinda like what my car was doing when I had 2 bent ones. Super easy fix.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:55 PM
Staging Lane

bent pushrod or not, somethins not right in there. ill prob end up takin it to chevy and keep milkin the warranty company for every penny. thanks for the help guys!
Old 06-02-2005, 01:02 PM
Teching In

I just purchased my 5th ls1 a couple days ago, a 98' Formula m6 with 102k on the clock, car is super clean but has slight lifter tick from the back drivers side. Im going to do the repair myself in the next couple weeks, but I've never opened this motor myself. I have a fair amount of mechanical knowledge though, is there anything I should look for when I start my job or avoid doing?