Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low oil at startup/#5 cylinder misfire

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2005, 02:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Low oil at startup/#5 cylinder misfire

I get a check guage light at startup and the oil guage shows no oil. If I rev the engine the check guage light goes away but the oil guage stays lower then normal? I did a complete oil change with 5 quarts of mobil 1. AC delco filter. I replaced the spark plugs and wires with irridium TR55's and MSD wires.
I have other issues too that I figured out through the search. I'm wondering if they have anything to do with the low oil issue. Trouble code P0420=Bad Cat and P0305=misfire in cylinder 5.
Im going to run a catless exhaust but what do I go about fixing the #5 cylinder misfire and the low/no oil issue?
Old 06-04-2005, 03:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

On the oil part your oil pump might be craping out on you, or your sending unit might be going bad. I would check into it with runing the car too much more. On the missfire part try taking and switching the coil with another and see if the misfire changes cyclinders.
Old 06-04-2005, 09:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll look into getting a new oil pump, should I get gm stock or is there any good aftermarket ones? (P/N# Please?) I dont plan to do much performance beside bolt ons and possibly heads/cam.
I dont think the #5 cylinder misfire is a coil. Im pretty sure it has something to do with the malfuctioning cat or maybe pcv valve. Engine is stock and has a little over 60K miles on it. Any suggestions? Any other reasons why I show no oil pressure at start up and low pressure while driving?
Old 06-04-2005, 11:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you change the pump get a ported ls6 pump. I got mine from texas speed.