Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil leak after cam

Old 06-05-2005, 12:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default oil leak after cam

we installed my cam today got done and drove the car everything was fine. came back changed the oil and charged the ac. got ready to take another spin and the new oil had leaked out from what looked like maybe the crank seal in the front cover behind the harmonic balancer. is it possible to just replace the crank seal or does the whole front cover have to come off to fix this. Also any ideas on where else to look for the leak.
Old 06-05-2005, 12:51 AM
Teching In

need a seal puller and you can do it with the front cover still in place. check the bottom of the front cover for leaks. summit sale a seal puller
Old 06-05-2005, 12:53 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yep, either have to do it with a seal puller, or have to pull the timing cover... I had the same problem with mine, had to replace the crank seal with a new one.
Old 06-05-2005, 04:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Whenever we do a cam swap we knock the front crank seal out from behind when the front cover is off and replace it. Or, could the leak be on either side of the front cover where it matches up to the oil pan? We usually use some GM silicone adhesive in the 2 places where the front cover gasket meets the oil pan on both sides to seal it up.
Old 06-05-2005, 05:42 AM
10 Second Club

How many miles were on the crank seal? Did you center the balancer(by installing it all the way on) in the hole of the front cover before tightening the front cover bolts?
Yes the two dabs of sealant at the lower, outside corners of the front cover/oil pan junction are very important!
Old 06-05-2005, 09:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

16000 miles on the car, yes the we did put gasket in the corner of the cover and pan and it doesn't look like its coming out of there. but Im not sure about the tightening of the cover bolts I wasn't there for that part.
Old 06-05-2005, 09:50 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by nvrstsfd23
we installed my cam today got done and drove the car everything was fine. came back changed the oil and charged the ac. got ready to take another spin and the new oil had leaked out from what looked like maybe the crank seal in the front cover behind the harmonic balancer. is it possible to just replace the crank seal or does the whole front cover have to come off to fix this. Also any ideas on where else to look for the leak.
I'm not sure about F-Body's but on my C5, I am able to peek behind the crank pulley to see if oil is dripping from the seal. Again, not sure about F-Body's but a common problem with the C5 is the seal between the timing cover and oil pan. A LOT of gasket sealant must be used to insure a good seal.
Old 06-05-2005, 10:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah we checked both corners and am almost positive that thats not where its coming from. do u have to have a seal puller or can u use a screwdriver to pry it out as long as u don't gouge anything.
Old 06-05-2005, 03:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

checked the oil and it was apparently a little over filled, would that allow it to seap out of the seal. Because now we have driven the car 4 to 5 times and there seems to be no more oil except that first time we started it after the oil change. I would say there was probably a half quart too much.
Old 06-05-2005, 08:00 PM
10 Second Club

Yeah I would guess that too much oil could cause excess windage and pressure and force a little out around the crank seal. Just keep an eye on it.
Old 06-05-2005, 09:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

excessive breather pressure is the term you're lookin for and unless you over filled it 1 quart or more I doubt that's your problem
Old 06-06-2005, 08:13 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by oange ss
excessive breather pressure is the term you're lookin for and unless you over filled it 1 quart or more I doubt that's your problem
I agree.. 1/2 quart over-fill is nothing. Heck, GM tells you to do that when you track the car.
Old 06-06-2005, 04:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

what else could it be because it seems to have stopped completely.
Old 06-07-2005, 04:53 AM
10 Second Club

Cool...glad it's working well now.
Old 06-07-2005, 07:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nvrstsfd23
what else could it be because it seems to have stopped completely.
this **** happened to me last week

did a cam install on a friends car for him, and it was leaking outta the timing cover/oil pan area and the front main

next stay it stopped completely
Old 06-07-2005, 09:10 AM
TECH Addict

Is the leak rpm sensitive?
Old 06-07-2005, 09:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Have you checked your PCV system?
Seems like it could have had too much cranckase pressure and if your seals were not new or pinched (?).
Old 06-07-2005, 02:58 PM
Banned

This is very important. You mentioned that you weren't there when the cover was put back on.

The correct procedure is: put the silicone on the bottom lip of the timing cover. finger tighten the bolts with plenty of slack so the cover can still shift side to side. Tighten the crank pulley down to spec. THEN tighten the cover bolts down... the seal is centered properly around the snout. If the cover was tightened before the pulley was put on the alignment will be off, and if it indeed was done that way putting a new seal on wont help because the cover is still shifted that fraction as to not let it center when you put the pulley on after the repair. To be safe, it would pay to remove the timing cover, put a new seal on, silicone, pulley, tighten timing cover. SOLVED!
Old 06-07-2005, 07:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks for all the advice I drove it a ton yesterday. no oil has leaked since the first time we started it after the change. I have no idea what that could be but I guess all I can do is keep an eye on it and see what happens.
Old 06-08-2005, 06:40 AM
Teching In

Default Same problem

Have the same problem with my C5 after cam change. Cover was centered. As mentioned above by oang ss mine seems to be rpm related, It only leaks after a full throttle high rpm run the rest of the time it's just fine. PCV system seems to be working corectly also. I'll know more later this week as I plan to take it down to check. Not an answer to your problem but just some input.

Mark

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: oil leak after cam