Sponsored by:

The noise is back...now even louder!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 01:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default The noise is back...now even louder! UPDATE @ Bottom

99 z28 m6 106008 miles

i made a thread about the valvetrain ticking noise, so i got some stock 5.3 heads and put the stock springs and retainers with 14K miles on them, new hardened steel 7.4 pushrods and slapped those bad boys in there. install went well. started her up, no problemo. but today as i was heading to a friends house, the noise came back. it was really the worst feeling ever and it sounds worse, like earlier and louder in the RPM range. could there be anything else that i am passing up? i had my rocker arms checked and the guy said that they were good. i will prob buy some roller rockers if i have to replace the lifters, what would you guys recommend? i hear the quick lifts, jesels, and harlan sharps are good.

would you guys recommend some comp r lifters or replace with new stock ones with new lifter cups, cuz i want the least amount of valvetrain noise as possible.

also are the ARPs worth it, i will be putting those 5.3 heads on at the same time, and i doubt they will be coming off again.

i just put in some castrol synth blend 10w40 oil and ac delco filter, could the synth blend eat up seals or anything down there, cuz i heard going to synth on a high mileage motor like mine could really screw some stuff up.

i put in some stp oil treatment as well and nothing seemed to change, should i try something different?

also, i shouldnt drive it at all right, cuz bad things happens when the lifter completely dies right? cuz i have absolutely no idea what the lifter lifts, is it the pushrod?

thanks in advance, im gonna use ls1howto and maybe some other things for the head removal and reinstallation, along with about 3 other friends who are good with these motors. could you guys provide a link or explain to me how to replace the lifters and the cups, stuff to avoid and look for, etc? thanks

Last edited by jdoyle; 06-08-2005 at 10:26 PM.
Old 06-06-2005, 02:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Probably lifters. You should have changed those with a high mile motor. Get the Comp 850-16, they are a little quieter.
Also what is your preload?
Old 06-06-2005, 03:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
Probably lifters. You should have changed those with a high mile motor. Get the Comp 850-16, they are a little quieter.
no idea on preload, thanks for the part #
Old 06-07-2005, 05:49 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
Yup, i had the exact same problem as you, went throught the same steps.. and ended up being lifters. I putthe comp's in and no more problem.

good luck
Old 06-07-2005, 06:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by jdoyle
no idea on preload, thanks for the part #
do you have stock rockers? if so you get 0 lash (meaning the p-rod can't be twisted freely anymore) by tightening the rocker slowly while wiggling it a bit side to side.
Once the p-rod 0 lash is there then just tighten the rocker nut to 22ft/lbs.
Old 06-07-2005, 06:16 AM
On The Tree

I know you said you have 7.4 pushrods. Are those the stock size? If not, you need the stock size ones.
Old 06-07-2005, 06:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 99SilverZ
I know you said you have 7.4 pushrods. Are those the stock size? If not, you need the stock size ones.
Yeah 7.40 are aftermarket stock size.
Old 06-07-2005, 08:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

im going to try some marvel mystery oil, about 2 quarts and see if that helps clean some stuff up down there, if it doesnt then off with the heads for some summertime 100K miles freshening up.

thanks for all your help, but keep the responses coming

before i put the valvecovers back on i made sure everything was snug, so i think that is my problem, lifters
Old 06-07-2005, 09:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Don't even waste your time, just go in and change them.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

i hope this helps, i was changing my oil and this is what i found attached to the drain plug magnet.

its like a chrome peice of pencil lead (wooden pencil not mechanical) thats a little bigger than a 1/2 inch, any ideas? i know it goes to a bearing but which one? TIA
Old 06-09-2005, 08:28 AM
Teching In

Sounds like a roller bearing from the rockers.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kemmert
Sounds like a roller bearing from the rockers.
well a pushrod did sideload into the rocker arm and push the bearing outward, but it didnt seem like it fell apart or anything came off of it. the noise is also coming from the area where this happened. maybe it is.

i changed the oil that i had in the car when i had the bad rocker and found like 3 of those things i described, i replaced the rocker and the oil, flushed the oil again and found another one, is there a chance that something like that just didnt make its way down far enough to reach the magnet on the drain plug or would that be unlikely? Thanks
Old 06-09-2005, 01:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like your rockers are dying. What you described are needle bearings from the rockers. Get some new ones.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SiL3NtXWS6
Sounds like your rockers are dying. What you described are needle bearings from the rockers. Get some new ones.
what would you recommend? i heard crane quick lifts, harlan sharps, and jesels were good. ill be doing 1.7 ratio, maybe 1.8 ratio since ill be on stock cam
Old 06-09-2005, 08:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

could it possibly be timing? maybe too much timing and causing a knock? my car did this, so its possible..

Jon
Old 06-09-2005, 11:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SilverStreak1830
could it possibly be timing? maybe too much timing and causing a knock? my car did this, so its possible..

Jon
is there any way i could check this myself? i havent messed with that ever.

and also, do you guys think i should just take it to a shop or sumn and have them look at it, if so, who would you guys recommend, HPE, ARD, G-Force?
Old 06-09-2005, 11:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

if the rockers were tightened too much, the lifters are probably shot(they can pump up with oil if the pushrod cup is all the way bottomed in the lifter).
to minimize noise, you need to ensure you get all of those needle bearings out. i'd see if i could count how many there are supposed to be and make sure they are all accounted for
Old 06-09-2005, 11:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by slowpoke96z28
if the rockers were tightened too much, the lifters are probably shot(they can pump up with oil if the pushrod cup is all the way bottomed in the lifter).
to minimize noise, you need to ensure you get all of those needle bearings out. i'd see if i could count how many there are supposed to be and make sure they are all accounted for
all rockers torqued down to 15 ft lbs, then 22 ft lbs. i have counted 4 so far, 3 the first time and 1 the next, is there a way that one of these needle looking things got lodged in between and is not letting the lifter lift or is it protected?
Old 06-10-2005, 08:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jdoyle
is there any way i could check this myself? i havent messed with that ever.

and also, do you guys think i should just take it to a shop or sumn and have them look at it, if so, who would you guys recommend, HPE, ARD, G-Force?
i dont know what software you need or anything like that, i got mine checked when i got a tune, i had a strange knock in mine, and i thought it was a rocker arm and low and behold it was my timing causing it...i'd take it to any of the shops you named, although i dont know anything about that ARD, but HPE, and G-Force are both good shops...

Jon