Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deep Sh!t. could use advice or suggestions on overheating motor. Any insight apprec.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 09:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deep ****. could use advice or suggestions on overheating motor. Any insight apprec.

For the past few days I 've noticed my coolant temps higher than usual but figured it was the much hotter temperatures we've been seeing...but today.....

Today .....I'm cruising at 75 mph in sixth gear and the coolant temps are 207 degrees..(usually 192 degrees)

I turn off the a/c and put the defroster on heat.....and it brings the temps down to 198 degrees..

I'm thinking since I put the stock air box on saturday and found out my aftermarket coupling to the maf was letting some air in...I'd run the stock air box for a few days and sure enough the cars running much much better...but hotter...

So this afternoon I put the aftermarket air filter back in and thought....that would resolve the issue...

Low and behold in 15 minutes of around the town driving...

The car is running 243 or 249 degrees coolant...so I quickly turn off the road onto a side street...turn the car off...and park....turn the key just for a D. I .C reading of coolant about 5 minutes later and the D. I. C says....253 degrees...

I'm like holly ****..so

Wait ten to 20 minutes...start the car and then the coolant goes down about 2 degrees every few minutes..

Now the car seems to be running about 217 to 230 degreess for the most part..sometimes down to 208 degrees but the car really used to run 190 degrees pretty much all the time except maybe bumper to bumper traffic..

I could let the car idle now and it settles in at 208 degrees...and then if I drive it rather gently it climbs to 221 degrees..drive it a little harder and the temps climb to 230...

I didn't sit in traffic today so I'm dumbfounded...

No codes in D. I . C either....

Could it be a fuse for the fan blown..(the passenger side one seems to work...I can't see the driverside one so I can't tell.)

Could it be a slipping water pump belt?

Could it be a bad thermostat?

Could it be the water pump?

Could it be worse like a head gasket?

Could it be the tuning? (found the maf connector to air filter was leaking air in...and fixed it...)

What do you guys think? Any insight would be appreciated...
Old 06-07-2005, 09:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

I would think either the fan(s) or the t-stat. You did check the water level, right?? I just had to ask.
Old 06-07-2005, 09:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

(1) did you check the coolant level?(2) look under the front end and make sure your air dam is in place (3) get a test light and check all your fuses(4)start your vehicle after you are atoperating temp have someone increase your rpmto around 2200 rpm until you see both fans operating,if you see both of them working and it still does not cool down you most likely have a stuck t-stat.you can also have autozone scan it for a t-stat code whick i bieleve is a po128.oh one more thing check you coolant mixture and make sure you have an acceptable mixture of coolant and water. hope this helps good luck!!
Old 06-07-2005, 09:51 PM
TECH Addict

car running, turn on the ac, both fans should run. Like the others said if both fans are running look for a new thermostat and a radiator flush. Why didn't you drop to a lower thermostat with the cam package?
Old 06-07-2005, 10:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'd bet that it is the thermostat.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

easy check, drop ur stat in boiling water if its stuck u'll see it right there.
Old 06-08-2005, 12:08 AM
TECH Regular

thermostat. Autozone $20.
Old 06-08-2005, 06:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have a 178 degree thermostat in the car now and the original stock 192 degree thermostat sitting in the garage..

Coolant level is off maybe a quarter of an inch below full level on tank (with the car still somewhat hot)

Thanks for the advice guys.

JB
Old 06-08-2005, 07:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JBsZ06
I have a 178 degree thermostat in the car now and the original stock 192 degree thermostat sitting in the garage..

Coolant level is off maybe a quarter of an inch below full level on tank (with the car still somewhat hot)

Thanks for the advice guys.

JB
JB, not much difference between those two stats as far as opening temp is concerned.

I would put the stock stat back in and make sure you burp all the air bubbles out!
Old 06-08-2005, 09:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the advice guys..

I just checked the car while it was really cool and the expansion tank was down a bit..

fwiw Its under the full cold level. Acutally its about 1/2 inch below the FULL MARK if I took a guess. Coolant level is AT the bottom of the U or L in the word FULL on the plastic tank.

Is this a big deal? Maybe tommorow I'll pick up some coolant and put it in and see if it makes a difference.

What do U think? is that a low level indicating a bigger problem?
Old 06-08-2005, 10:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW, if it's getting hotter when you raise the rpms, I'd suspect that combustion/exhaust heat was getting into the coolant. Any bubbles in the coolant when you look into the radiator while revving the engine? You might want to think about doing a leak down test on it. I had the same situation with another car one time, if I slowed down, the temp went down. If I idled a while, it would get close to normal. More rpm=more heat transfer to the coolant due to a head gasket leak. Just something to think about...
Old 06-08-2005, 10:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

I don't know if this will help. My car used to run that hot most of the time. It would get up to 245 in traffic. I put in a 160 thermo and lowered the fan settings and it never got above 180.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:15 AM
Staging Lane

On a C5, check the radiator intake/mouth under the car to see if it has sucked in a plastic bag or paper or something. Happens pretty often, and will make the car run warmer than usual. A good air/water cleanout of that area will help too, it picks up a lot a dirt/crap.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:26 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by under_construction
On a C5, check the radiator intake/mouth under the car to see if it has sucked in a plastic bag or paper or something. Happens pretty often, and will make the car run warmer than usual. A good air/water cleanout of that area will help too, it picks up a lot a dirt/crap.

From the description you gave, it sounds like its doin fine sitting still. But its getting hot while you are driving. Make sure the rad is getting enough air. Sounds like the Fans are working.
Check the coolant at the radiator (not the expansion tank) when its cold. Fill it up with water. Check it again in a couple of days (Cold) and if its low again I would look to a possible leaking head gasket.

Good luck man!
Brad
Old 06-09-2005, 10:33 AM
TECH Addict

Obvious, but make sure there's no trash stuck to the front of the radiator blocking the airflow.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just so I know my downside...worst case scenerio...

How much does it cost to have the head gaskets replaced?

How many hours does the job take?

If I need a head gasket replaced would that be a good time to change out the valve springs? Easier labor ?

Thanks for all the advice guys...

Hope its a thermostat but best to be prepared for the worst case scenerio...
Old 06-09-2005, 10:17 PM
TECH Addict

Keep it simple first....check the thermostat first...and then worry if that's not it
Old 06-09-2005, 11:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

hopefully its just the thermo stat. if its the head gasket, hopefully you can put some better heads on there