Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help choosing which direction to go with mods

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 01:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help choosing which direction to go with mods

See my current mods in sig. I want to increase the power, staying preferably around $2,500 for now, and that includes installation prices. I know I'm gonna have to get a set of LTs, so thats probably $1,000 after installation, O2 sensors, etc., leaving me roughly $1,500. What would you think the next best step would be? If I added a cam, would I see a good gain using stock heads and an LS1 manifold, or should I also upgrade one of those? Also, does anyone have a cam suggestion for something that would give good power from low through high RPM while maintaining good drivability (it's a daily driver)? I don't want anything that would just maximize high RPM power, because it's basically just street-driven, I never take it to the track. I know I'll probably need dyno tuning after all that too. Can anyone give me a ballpark range of the power I'd have after everything? I don't expect exact figures of course, but an estimate would be nice.
Thanks
Old 06-09-2005, 01:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Get your self the headers and a ls6 intake manifold. The cam will not perform like it should if it cant breathe. As for a cam the TR224 makes good all around power and is not bad manered. I made 39x rwhp and 38x rwtq with full boltons and that cam. A tune will help as well. Have you considered doing it your self and saving some $$.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:05 PM
11 Second Club

Your on the right track. Get yourself a set of LT's, have a friend help you install them. As conan has already stated, the TR224 makes great all around power, if you want a cam I would go with that or something equivilent. Also, you might wanna try to get your hands on a LS6 intake to help out the engine airflow. Just these mods alone will definitely get you into the upper 300 hp range. I know a guy that has the LS1 intake, LT headers, x-pipe with bullet mufflers and a Comp 224/224 .581 112lsa cam, and he made 380 rwhp on a Mustang Dyno in a 2000 Z-28 A4 with a Stall. That's decent power for a few mods.

Good Luck.
Old 06-09-2005, 04:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

correct me if I am wrong but don't 2000's come with an ls6 intake? Someone answer that question for me? because I thought that was the difference (among other things as well) between 99 and 2000's...????
Old 06-09-2005, 04:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ChaseSS
correct me if I am wrong but don't 2000's come with an ls6 intake? Someone answer that question for me? because I thought that was the difference (among other things as well) between 99 and 2000's...????
LS6 intakes are 01-02 for F-bodies.

Header install isn't all that hard. With the right tools (10 mm gear/ratcheting wrench comes in very handy) and a second set of hands it's well worth it to do yourself. You can get coated pacesetters with TSP off road Y-pipe for about $500. Even with the extras and tools it shouldn't run you over $700 tops.
Also, GET AN LS6 INTAKE BEFORE A CAM. I have a large cam, but I recently gained 53 rwhp with nothing but LS6 intake and underdrive pulley. Since pullies are only worth about 10rwhp the intake was choking 40 rwhp away from the cam.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Second the self install, it is really simple, check out the how to's before you shell out 500 + bones for the install you need like four sockets to complete install, now the cam is a little for involved, but Conan, can definatley help you out, in internal engine there is also a killer cam write up check it out.