Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which side is high pressure oil?

Old 06-11-2005, 09:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Which side is high pressure oil?

On the oil take-off and return block above the oil filter, is the port toward the front of the engine or toward the rear of the engine the high pressure line?

I want to make sure my oil is flowing through the cooler in the right direction.

Anyone who knows please reply.
Old 06-12-2005, 02:23 AM
TECH Addict

Your not going to use a sandwich adapter are you? GM makes a direct bolt on for the 6.0 liter trucks. You just remove the little cover plate above the oil filter mount and put the GM part in. It bolts right up. It ain't cheap, but it's plumbed all the way to the radiator. I guess you could also buy the GM cool too which would most lilkey connect directly to the GM unit. I bought my cooler at a local auto parts store and connected it using some 1/2" hose. You have to look around to find a cooler with 1/2" bungs as most of them seem to come with 3/8s".
Old 06-12-2005, 10:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Even less cheap is the billet aluminum XMS Engineering adapter I bought with AN-8 fittings that goes where the truck adapter goes. And most Setrab and Fluidyne coolers have -8 and -10 lines.

I just want to know which side is higher pressure.

Originally Posted by eallanboggs
Your not going to use a sandwich adapter are you? GM makes a direct bolt on for the 6.0 liter trucks. You just remove the little cover plate above the oil filter mount and put the GM part in. It bolts right up. It ain't cheap, but it's plumbed all the way to the radiator. I guess you could also buy the GM cool too which would most lilkey connect directly to the GM unit. I bought my cooler at a local auto parts store and connected it using some 1/2" hose. You have to look around to find a cooler with 1/2" bungs as most of them seem to come with 3/8s".
Old 06-12-2005, 12:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by eallanboggs
Did you lose any oil pressure doing this? I've thought about doing one but worried about pressure.
Old 06-13-2005, 04:10 AM
TECH Addict

Also installed a port and blueprinted oil pump when I did the cam swap. Pressure is 50 at idle and almost 70 at speed on the factory gauge. I installed 2 electric fans (one pusher in front and a puller behind) a Meziere and a 160 stat. Water temp is 185 all the time on the factory gauge unless I get into stop and go traffic in the summertime with the A/C turned "ON". It barely reaches 200 in that situation and I'd like to believe the oil cooler helps in keeping my water temp down.
Old 06-14-2005, 08:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you ever get a definite answer to your question? Cause I'm at the same point myself - I need to know which of the ports in the block above the oil filter is engine 'Out' (Hi pressure) and which is 'In' (Return).

It's important because I'm also using a Mocal Thermostatic Control and they are specific as to which ports you connect 'engine out' and 'engine in' to.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:07 PM
Pathological Modifier

The port nearest the front of the engine is the "out" the rear is the "in".

Ryan
Old 07-29-2005, 07:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GM makes a direct bolt on for the 6.0 liter trucks. You just remove the little cover plate above the oil filter mount and put the GM part in.
Eallanboggs what is the part number for this?
Thanks

Search this Thread