Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shortblock storage for 1 month

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2005, 08:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shortblock storage for 1 month

I'm buying an ls1 longblock (heads are off of the motor though) in a few days and will not be able to put it into my truck for about another month. I'm going on vacation the first week in july and am driving my truck 2 days so I'd feel better doing this afterwards.

What I am concerned about is keeping the motor clean and rust free during this time. As I said above the heads are not on the motor so the combustion chambers will be exposed. As well as the whole bottom end as there is no oil pan. Also there are the heads themselves. Seeing as how it's aluminum I'm sure this is much less to worry about than an iron block motor but I'm still going to be paranoid.

I was thinking get it on a stand, get rags soaked in oil and wipe every exposed surface, then stuff oily rags in the combustion chambers, around the crank and in vital areas like that. Then take a garbage bag over the whole thing, and rubber band it off keeping dirt from getting all over it.

Whose stored a shortblock and how'd you go about it?
Old 06-12-2005, 09:10 PM
11 Second Club

I did exactly that last year.. I used motor oil, but some say penetrating oil. Stuff rags in all places dirt could get in, and keep the motor covered.. you shouldn't have any problem. 1 month is not that long

Thanks,
Josh
Old 06-12-2005, 09:31 PM
12 Second Club

If this engine has been run before the bottom half should be pretty well oil soaked. As for the rest of the block grab your can of WD40 and go to work. After this get any type of plastic bag and wrap that bad boy up. Store in an area that is not regularly exposed to moisture or humidity. I learned this in the first small block rebuilding manual I read in high school auto shop. Plus like you said most of this mill is alloy. Good luck and post up to let us know how your truck runs after all of your work.
Old 06-13-2005, 03:27 PM
On The Tree

Thanks guys. Unfortunately my garage is extreamly humid. I'll just have to keep the bag it's under even more humid... with more oil

Electricz28 - I'll make a thread with pics and whatnot once I start
Old 06-13-2005, 04:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"grab your can of WD40 and go to work. After this get any type of plastic bag and wrap that bad boy up."

Yep, did the same over the months December to March, motor is fine.

Good luck on the motor man!
Old 06-13-2005, 04:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Vacuum seal that sucker.

I put mine in a big garbage bag, hook up a vacuum to the end with duck tape. Take most of the air out and tape it shut.
Of course spray a light mist of oil all over the motor beforehand.