Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replace lifters if they have been used with stiff springs??

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 02:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace lifters if they have been used with stiff springs??

OK guys, I have been reading the posts about replacing stock lifters with new OEM or aftermarket, but have not found a question like mine. I have a 2000 WS6 (50,000 miles) with original OEM lifters. I will be doing heads/cam swap here in a week and want to know if it would be good to replace the lifters with either new OEM ones or aftermarket ones (comp cams 850). My car's previous owner had a cam in it and Isky 295d valve springs (the cam is gone, springs are still on the car). Now, my thinking is it would be a good idea to put some comp 850s in while I am doing the work, but I have heard of a few guys putting new lifters in and having them fail right away. If my current lifters have already put up with a cam and springs, seems they are fairly reliable. Or am I wrong? Any input guys?
Old 06-21-2005, 03:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if it was me, i would pay the 200 or so and do it just so i dont have to do the whole head swap thing over again. kinda cheap insurance thing. OEM or aftermarket is up to you. i went with comp r's to replace my old ones.

im thinking the reason for failure would be bad installation, etc.

to me, if it held up to a cam and dual springs then that is just putting them on their last leg, even tho stock lifters are pretty strong and durable.
Old 06-21-2005, 03:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jdoyle
if it was me, i would pay the 200 or so and do it just so i dont have to do the whole head swap thing over again. kinda cheap insurance thing. OEM or aftermarket is up to you. i went with comp r's to replace my old ones.

im thinking the reason for failure would be bad installation, etc.

to me, if it held up to a cam and dual springs then that is just putting them on their last leg, even tho stock lifters are pretty strong and durable.
Second that, do them while you have the chance.
Old 06-22-2005, 08:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, thanks for the input guys. I will go ahead and replace them. It looks like the Comp lifters are the same price as GM, so I will go with them.