Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

solid roller opinions

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 03:58 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default solid roller opinions

Just wondering the major downfalls of going solid roller? Wanting to build a 408 in the near future and was thinking of going solid roller. Other than the obvious valve adjustments and valvespring changes, what are some of the major drawbacks? Would it be streetable at all? Car would really only see the street on the weekends. Was going to go FI, but with 500+ rwhp from a solid roller, I would love to stay n/a. Any opinions appreciated. Thanks.
Old 06-21-2005, 04:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Solids are perfectly streetable and if you set up your geometry right the first time you don't have to check your lash for long periods. The major drawback is cost.
Old 06-21-2005, 04:56 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Classic
Solids are perfectly streetable and if you set up your geometry right the first time you don't have to check your lash for long periods. The major drawback is cost.

I think classic hit the nail on the head.
It costs about 1500 or so more then a regular H/C setup.
It you want to stay NA and make killer power do it.
Allen Futural has done some real nice soild roller setup's.
The reason many stay away from it is lack of knowledge, and the fact that you can do so much without going solid.
I think the real question is why go solid roller if you are keeping you setup streetable?
that is the better question.
Many people are staying hydro and using cams in the 244-256 duration range with 610-630 lift in a 408 and the setup works.
Compression is already high with the 4" stroke.
To me if your not going all race solid dosen't appeal to most people.
Old 06-21-2005, 06:06 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the opinions guys. What is a common CR on a 408 SR? I would still want to run 93 octane.
Old 06-21-2005, 07:19 PM
TECH Regular

High operating rpm frequency/duration are major considerations for going solid-roller. A solid-roller setup will probably make a little more engine bay noise.

Who knows for sure, but I have read the LS7 hydro lifters are good to 7200 rpm. Also read that the LSx hydro lifters (to date) pump down in the high-6k to low-7k range. If looking for too much higher than stock rpm redline, you should consider the solid-roller option.

Theoretically, it should be marginal says my logic. It's likely I am unaware of all the facts. Will a solid-roller engine make more power than hydraulic, with all other specs being equal?
Old 06-21-2005, 09:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes. All else being equal the solid will make more power than a hydraulic. In the old days it used to be a lot more but with the use of roller lifters and the large diameter of the ls1 lobes it is easier to have high ramp rates with the hydraulics. I think this is the reason the advantage has become less.