Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spark plug question

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2005, 07:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Spark plug question

I'm bumping compression up to 11:1 (5.3 heads with 2.02" intakes) and running an F14 cam. I purchased a set of NGK TR55IX plugs. Should I have gone colder or hotter????

I bought these without thinking about CR changes and just figured I'd throw a fresh set of plugs in with the new heads.
Old 06-22-2005, 07:56 PM
Launching!

Get some tr6s most installers use them on customers cars and everyone I know run them in there H/C cars!
Old 06-22-2005, 08:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

I thought TR6's were for spraying, but I had read something about using them for higher compression...how coem you can't find those damned articles when you nead them!
Old 06-22-2005, 08:16 PM
Launching!

Yeah most do but for every 100hp or close added to the top a stock engine ya supposed to run one step colder!So H/C falls in this catagory!Ya could run the tr55s but I try to do things in the order they need to be done in and it has payed of greatly!
Old 06-22-2005, 08:18 PM
Launching!

I see these plugs may be iridium plugs Will be better than the copper plugs if ya do decide to run them!
Old 06-22-2005, 08:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1s R US
I see these plugs may be iridium plugs Will be better than the copper plugs if ya do decide to run them!
Yes they are iridium. Can you tell me a little more about the difference between the 55s and the 6s?

The iridiums weren't cheap, but neither were the heads and cam so if I will benefit from going to TR6s I can sell the new TR55IXs and buy the TR6s...maybe hte guy in the other spark plug thread would like a set of iridium TR55s?

Since I will be installing the new heads I'd like to put the right plugs in the first time.
Old 06-22-2005, 08:42 PM
Launching!

Iribium is going to do well but as far a heat range goes ,Hears the definition!
A heat range indicates how well a spark plug can conduct heat away from its tip. A cooler plug transfers heat rapidly resulting in lower tip temperatures. A hotter plug will transfer heat more slowly resulting in higher tip temperatures.The hotter plug is going to have a biger center electrode and the cooler plug will be shorter. Here is one more statement from a ASE book! Installing a plug with the correct heat range is important because the plug must remain hot enough to burn away fouling deposits while the engine is idiling, yet cool enough at high speeds to prevert preignition and electrode wear! This came straight for my Master certification books! Hope the detailed info helps!
Old 06-23-2005, 12:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1s R US
Iribium is going to do well but as far a heat range goes ,Hears the definition!
A heat range indicates how well a spark plug can conduct heat away from its tip. A cooler plug transfers heat rapidly resulting in lower tip temperatures. A hotter plug will transfer heat more slowly resulting in higher tip temperatures.The hotter plug is going to have a biger center electrode and the cooler plug will be shorter. Here is one more statement from a ASE book! Installing a plug with the correct heat range is important because the plug must remain hot enough to burn away fouling deposits while the engine is idiling, yet cool enough at high speeds to prevert preignition and electrode wear! This came straight for my Master certification books! Hope the detailed info helps!
Yes, that helps understanding why. And you said that for every 100hp increase I should go one step cooler on the plugs. The risk being that the hotter TR55s may cause preignition under high load high RPM conditions. Since I'm also bumping the CRup to 11:1 preignition will be a definite concern.

Hmmm I guess I can sell the TR55s or put them in my wife's Suburban (5.3)
Old 06-23-2005, 02:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

First check the heat range of the 55 IX. I had Denso iridiums and they are one step colder than stock.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
First check the heat range of the 55 IX. I had Denso iridiums and they are one step colder than stock.
I contacted NGK and left them the question. I'll post the answer.
Old 06-24-2005, 06:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

This from NGK:

"Hello,

You need to purchase a TR6IX stock number 3689. The TR55IX is the stock heat range for this application."

Anybody want a set of brand new TR55IXs???