Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help Quick

Old 06-26-2005, 06:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Need Help Quick

OK so this weekend me and my uncle did a head,cam,intake,asp pulley install,160 thermostat,tb bypass. Got everything in a buttoned up. Start the car and it idles rough like expected. But what wasnt expected was the loud squealing noise coming from under the hood. The noise seems to be centered around the water pump/pulley area at the front of the motor.I have read in a few posts about maybe a wrong size pulley belt for the pulley we installed? Anyone have any idea what other problems it might be, and what the correct belt number for the belt would be? Also after running for about 5 minutes the temperature reached about 250 degrees. Any ideas about that? Thanks for the help in advance.
P.S. except for the loud squealing the rumble from the exhaust was really nice
Old 06-26-2005, 07:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

i don't know for sure about the squeal,maybe it's the wrong size belt like you mentioned.but as far as the overheating,assuming everything was installed correctly,you have air in the system.same thing happened to me.i just ran mine until the temp gauge started to go above normal,then shut it off for a little bit,and the started it up again,shut it off and so on until all the air was bled out.
Old 06-26-2005, 07:38 PM
10 Second Club

i agree with 66deauce the only other possibility would be a bad t-stat you said you replaced it correct? try bleeding the sytsem and if that doesnt work i would try checking the t-stat by putting the old one on. the belt is most likely the cause for the squeal mine did the same after running it for a while it went away maybe wrong belt or maybe just fluids on it from everything that was changed
Old 06-26-2005, 09:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

is the belt really lose?

that would account for the squeeling and the high temp
Old 06-26-2005, 09:29 PM
TECH Veteran

My guess is air in the system causing the overheating,vewry common and if the belt got soaked with coolant it will squeal for 30-45 minutes or so, you can also spray it with brake parts cleaner(the belt) and that will probably help.
Old 06-28-2005, 08:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

wasnt the belts , took belts off and started the car and the sound was still there. sounds more like a whistling sound then squealing i guess. any one have any ideas on what it could be?
Old 06-30-2005, 10:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

anybody with any ideas on what could be causing this?

Search this Thread