Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I I want to build 383 stroker..What do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2005, 10:12 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I I want to build 383 stroker..What do I need?

I want to build a 383 motor. I have a 2000 C5 with SLP heads, intake, cam, CAI, exaust, etc. I dyno'd 383rwhp N/A, and want to build a bigger motor. I don't want to spend an assload of money, and I will want to throw a 150shot on it if possible (sometime down the road). I hope to have a reliable setup! I hear Eagle makes decent yet reasonable priced cranks, but don't know what else I will need to buy. Will my heads and cam work with the new crank? Will I need new pistons, conecting rods, bearings, etc. I'm not even sure of what kind of HP to expect out of this set up. I just want to beef up my ride..............Got the bug bad!!!!!
Old 06-28-2005, 10:18 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

new crank, rods, pistons, bearings. pretty much a full rotating assembly. then block machining and assembly.

if you dont want to spend an *** load of money stroker aint the way to go. things add up alot faster then you think. i'd opt for a better H/C, intake, and header combo. maybe something like; AFR 205's, g5x3, 90/90, LGM LT's and a tune would be a good start.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:45 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by jrp
new crank, rods, pistons, bearings. pretty much a full rotating assembly. then block machining and assembly.

if you dont want to spend an *** load of money stroker aint the way to go. things add up alot faster then you think. i'd opt for a better H/C, intake, and header combo. maybe something like; AFR 205's, g5x3, 90/90, LGM LT's and a tune would be a good start.

I wish the parts your talking about were available when I initially modded my car, but why do I have to machine my block? I thought a 4" crank would fit fine? I read that you have to start worrying about clearance issues when you go 4.125 and bigger I can understand the pistons, connecting rods, bearings which is around $2500 or so..........I don't want to drop 5 grand on the project, but 3g-3500 I can deal with.......when all is said and done!!
Old 06-28-2005, 11:11 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 00Vette
I wish the parts your talking about were available when I initially modded my car, but why do I have to machine my block? I thought a 4" crank would fit fine? I read that you have to start worrying about clearance issues when you go 4.125 and bigger I can understand the pistons, connecting rods, bearings which is around $2500 or so..........I don't want to drop 5 grand on the project, but 3g-3500 I can deal with.......when all is said and done!!
by machine the block i mean Cylinder bore and line honing,deck it for squarness, ect.

if you want it done right your stretching your budget for a 383 shortblock. then to really take advantage of it you'll want reworked heads, cam, and intake. then there's fuel delivery; pump and injectors. like i said, **** adds up, if you want to do it right and not half assed. thats why i suggesst you just make your 346 more efficient with what i've already stated.

or just get some n2o.
Old 06-29-2005, 12:46 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by jrp
by machine the block i mean Cylinder bore and line honing,deck it for squarness, ect.

if you want it done right your stretching your budget for a 383 shortblock. then to really take advantage of it you'll want reworked heads, cam, and intake. then there's fuel delivery; pump and injectors. like i said, **** adds up, if you want to do it right and not half assed. thats why i suggesst you just make your 346 more efficient with what i've already stated.

or just get some n2o.
What's up with the g5x3 cam? I couldn't find anything on it. Who sells them? I've been eyeing those afr 205's for a while as well. Just figured the 4" crank would work fine with my current heads. I've seen other people claim 450rwhp or so from those heads and a good cam. Don't sound right to me! But with the **** that's out now.........who know's! Thanks for the inputs.

Anyone else????????????
Old 06-29-2005, 12:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

look into this...it's already built and ready to go. It will handle all the n2o you wanna throw at it and he knows his ****.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lsx-parts-sale/341841-bad-ass-347-forged-shortblock.html

just my .02 but do what you'd like....also might want to check with LME, HPE, CMS, Speed Inc, SDPC and the other sponsors...just a thought and it may wind up being cheaper in the long run.
Old 06-29-2005, 01:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

if you want a 383, id prob go eagle if you ever expect it to cost <$3500. call some sponsors, theyll sell you a rotating assembly balanced for around $2200 with rods, pistons, bearins, crank and maybe some gaskets. say about $350 for machine work on the block (you need to have it machined, theres no point in building a motor half ***). then lil crap like a new oil pump, timing chain, gaskets, arp main studs and head studs, lock tite, assembly lube, and so on. i assume you want to install this yourself? if so, then youll need some tools, like ring compressors, ring filer, dial indicator, and a few other specialty tools that can be rented if need be. adding it up

stroker kit.............2200
machine work.........350
oil pump.................120
timing chain.............175
gaskets..................120
head and main studs.380
fluids/locktite..........120
-------------------------------
3465+tax

thats pretty close to your 3500. mind you your prob going to want to upgrade some of your other stuff. def a bigger cam if your not even making 400 right now. maybe stage 3 heads later. better headers. better exhaust. more bolt ons. this setup would def handle a 150 shot too. you might want to look into just having a short block bult for you. you could prob have it built for about the same but have to buy the extras.
Old 06-29-2005, 01:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

yea a rotating assembly is a good deal...and 3465 ^^ is nice but you MAY be able to buy one from a vendor (with your core) for much cheaper. Who knows...find one thats doing sale or GP here and you could save money even...LME & HPE I know are doing Sales right now.
Old 06-29-2005, 11:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

You will be much better off buying a complete LS1/LS2 stroker Long block from Rapidmotorsports/APE etc and selling you junk heads. Dont forget fuel pump and 36# injectors.
Old 06-29-2005, 01:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Wouldn't reccomend APE...I would say look further into the sponsors.
Old 06-29-2005, 01:52 PM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Just an FYI....

Hey Guys...

As some of you already know, I am currently building a 383 for the next round of AFR head testing and R&D. Scott Shafiroff Racing provided me with the shortblock kit (machined brand new block, Eagle/Callies rotating assembly etc.). It's only a complete rotator and a machined block (no oil pump or other peripherals) but the parts and the machine work look great. He's better known in the world of converntional HI- Po BBC and SBC stuff, but is now breaking into the LS1 market....these guys have been around a LONG time and I would certainly give them some consideration as well....(I'm reasonably confident they will become a supporting vendor in the very near future so if the "Mod's" could cut me some slack here....LOL). Just thought it was good information to share with everyone and obviously directly related to the topic in this thread.

His kit sells for $3295 (unassembled) and he doesn't have any core charge either. Just another good option out there for people to look into that are wanting a larger displacement build....

I will keep you guys posted regarding the results of the AFR headed 383 I am putting toghether....Should be on the engine dyno in a few weeks if things go according to plan.

Regards,
Tony M.
Old 06-29-2005, 02:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Cant wait to see the #'s Tony
Old 06-29-2005, 02:32 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by AsianIce25
stroker kit.............2200
machine work.........350
oil pump.................120
timing chain.............175
gaskets..................120
head and main studs.380
fluids/locktite..........120
-------------------------------
3465+tax
For really good machine work you are going to pay a bit more, that's if you want it assembled. Around $800 - $950. That would be to machine the block, gap rings, "0" deck - set quench area, degree cam + the good machining stuff like line boring the mains & other stuff.
Old 06-29-2005, 04:55 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 00Vette
I want to build a 383 motor. I have a 2000 C5 with SLP heads, intake, cam, CAI, exaust, etc. I dyno'd 383rwhp N/A, and want to build a bigger motor. I don't want to spend an assload of money, and I will want to throw a 150shot on it if possible (sometime down the road). I hope to have a reliable setup! I hear Eagle makes decent yet reasonable priced cranks, but don't know what else I will need to buy. Will my heads and cam work with the new crank? Will I need new pistons, conecting rods, bearings, etc. I'm not even sure of what kind of HP to expect out of this set up. I just want to beef up my ride..............Got the bug bad!!!!!
You will need the rotating assembly and the block machined to fit it. The smaller bore of the 383 does require slight clearancing but not much. We use the Eagle cranks as well as Callies and have never had any problems with either so far. Everything you already have would still work although you might want a slightly larger cam and/or cylinder head.
Old 06-29-2005, 06:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...93#post3134993
I have one ready to ship if you are interested.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:17 PM
10 Second Club

From the info. I'm gathering. I guess my best bet will be to save some more money and attack this later.......Thanks for the inputs
Old 07-01-2005, 10:21 AM
Teching In

strokers wont make a huge gain in HP but they are a real torque monster from what ive been told anyway, please correct me if im wrong...