Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What rings for 346 build...

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2005, 10:00 PM
7 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default What rings for 346 build...

We're building a 346 for our auto project car and trying to decide between total seal gapless rings or normal rings?
Phil
Old 07-03-2005, 10:16 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Phil,

With you (your a special kind of car lunatic), you have to ask.

1) How miles/time do you expect this motor to run?
2) How often, are you going to pull the top end apart to keep it fresh?
3) Are you going to use special coatings?
4) How much NITROUS?
5) Static compression and lubrication? Heat?

I would find out what Cartek(Dave) 400 shot NOS and Vette Doctos (Julio) 500 shot NOS on the C5R setups they are running? As you know the rings are a big secret with the faster cars...shhh... Don't tell anyone...

I have no idea what the lastest fad is. At least with old style you have an idea as to what they can do. I guess the question is are the gapless going to give less blowby and friction or more problems?
Old 07-03-2005, 11:14 PM
7 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

~20-30k
every 2 years would be ok...

Yes

4) How much NITROUS?
200-300 on average

11.5:1
Old 07-04-2005, 02:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Phil99vette
~20-30k
race car
Old 07-04-2005, 02:55 AM
Banned

the total seal gapless are junk from what i've seen. there was a billy BA turbo stang around here that was making in the 2000-2300 range, rebuilt a 360" sbf with the total seals, ran one race (5 passes) and had to rebuild the motor after running 2 full seasons with the prior motor with typical rings. it did run a new best with the total seals on it, but it didn't last. and it's gone over .1 quicker since with normal rings in it.
Old 07-04-2005, 10:43 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Phil99vette

~20-30k
Actually this quite a distant for any race motor. Some are just designed for one run or even just qualifing, one race, a few races. 5,000 miles is generally considered to be the top end of a super endurance race motor. None the less, you want 25-30k. I would do an exceptional cooling system. I am running a Ron Davis radiator/oil cooler, DRM block and Accusump (13 Quarts of Mobil 15-50 or Amsoil). Keep cylinder temps perfect at all times. This will make tune good as well. Run Evans Coolent. 300 degree boil temp vs. Dexcool 265. Run two breathers. Always look for extra oil in the TB, under the valve covers etc...

every 2 years would be ok...
I would pull the intake and heads every 5,000 and hot tank them. No carbon build up, major reduction in efficiency. See the wear. At the very least, junk the springs every 5,000. Junk the wires every six months to a year(Gm hot wires only). They crack fast. Junk plugs, oil continously, use a K&N 1007.

Yes

4) How much NITROUS?
200-300 on average
In additon to whatever you have on the tank(probably a walbro 255/310). I would run a kb boost a pump too reduce load and chance of failure. Constant fuel pressure is friend. Run an fuel acculmulator in front and least equal height of the rails. Too much just means slow, too little...here go again. Go crazy on the exhaust side on the heads and run cutouts when racing. I would talk to guys like Dave at Cartek, Julio at Vette Doctors or J. Formanto in Florida. Major experience on multiple LS motors running major shots of NOS. They are very friendly and helpful.

11.5:1
Static compression can be bleed using split duration (10 degrees and split lift). There is new two piece front cover that allow you to put in a cam with out pulling the rack, etc..I will see if I can find the maker when I read late tonight. QTP... price is way ugly...$425 just for the cover.

Last edited by BUYAMERICAN; 07-04-2005 at 10:49 AM.