Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Double Roller timing chain

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2005, 12:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Double Roller timing chain

Is it worth, if so what is it good for? Adj. or non-adj.
Old 07-04-2005, 10:18 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have one, it's mostly just good for peace of mind. I had a valve lock come undone in my engine a few days after my cam install and trashed my engine. I had reused the stock timing chain because it only had 35k miles on it and when we took the timing cover off the chain had a lot of slack in it even though we tightened it as much as was safe when we reinstalled it. Now that the double roller is in there I know for a fact it's not going to slip or stretch out. That peace of mind is very nice to have when you're spinning to 7k.

It's not a necesarry part, I'm sure an aftermarket single chain would work just as well for you but I wasn't going to take anymore chances.

The only thing you need to be concerned about with the double roller is whether or not you have an aftermarket crank pulley. The older ASP pullies required machining to work with the double roller timing chains, the more recent ones however, come pre-machined to fit the double rollers as well.
Old 07-04-2005, 11:13 AM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Do you need an aftermarket crankpulley to make the double roller work?
Old 07-04-2005, 11:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sb427f-car
Do you need an aftermarket crankpulley to make the double roller work?
nope
Old 07-04-2005, 11:43 AM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by co.6z28
nope

Didn't think so. Thanks.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks, LS1Maniac
Old 07-06-2005, 02:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS1Maniac
I have one, it's mostly just good for peace of mind. I had a valve lock come undone in my engine a few days after my cam install and trashed my engine. I had reused the stock timing chain because it only had 35k miles on it and when we took the timing cover off the chain had a lot of slack in it even though we tightened it as much as was safe when we reinstalled it. Now that the double roller is in there I know for a fact it's not going to slip or stretch out. That peace of mind is very nice to have when you're spinning to 7k.

It's not a necesarry part, I'm sure an aftermarket single chain would work just as well for you but I wasn't going to take anymore chances.

The only thing you need to be concerned about with the double roller is whether or not you have an aftermarket crank pulley. The older ASP pullies required machining to work with the double roller timing chains, the more recent ones however, come pre-machined to fit the double rollers as well.
I'd like to know how you have a keeper come out? That's scary stuff. Was it damaged when it was installed or did it fail under load?
Old 07-06-2005, 02:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Overkill on average street setups.
LS2 is a cheaper alternative and there is always the J-WISS (C5-R chain)
Not to mention, I'm not too crazy about how tight they are. The looseness of stock chain is not because it is flimzy, it is in order not to wear the front cam bearings. LS1 chain had it, LS2 chain has it too. BTW J-WISS has it too (on mine)
A J-WISS is the Le Mans chain, so do you think they would put a flimzy chain on there??? I think not.
Old 07-06-2005, 05:50 AM
Launching!

I used the LS-2 chain when I had the heads done.

I believe an underdrive pulley will have to be but a little with a double roller.
Old 07-06-2005, 07:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hi Folks
I installed a double roller timing chain just to be on the safe side. I had the engine a part, so why not change the timing chain - the other one only had about 3200 miles on it. The double timing chain has its own setup issues; you have to shim oil pump which makes getting the oil pick line hard to get in place and you need to grind the timing chain cover – clearance issue. Otherwise it was easy - now if I change the Cam (May do in the future), the timing chain is in place to handle what ever I want.
Bill
Old 07-06-2005, 01:57 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by eallanboggs
I'd like to know how you have a keeper come out? That's scary stuff. Was it damaged when it was installed or did it fail under load?
I ordered the cam install kit from Futral Motorsports and I assumed it had everything I needed in it. I installed the Manley Dual Valve Springs using the stock keepers since the kit didn't come with any. The Manleys apparently need 10* valve locks whereas the stock ones are 7*. It lasted 2 days before they finally failed and I destroyed a valve. Ah well.. live and learn I suppose.