Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifter Noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 12:00 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Lifter Noise

OK here go's... I have a 2001 Z06 and I'm having trouble with a singal lifter rattling after driving for about 10 min. I've only had the car for about 1 month it has 48000 miles on the motor and runs strong, oil presure is about 28 psi hot at idle. When I first picked the car up in California it had a intermitant #5 misfire only at a idle. I wasn't to worried about that ,since it ran fine any other time . Only somtimes at Idle it miss fired. Any how I drove th car home to New Mexico, ran great, no problems.
When I got the car home I started cking out the # 5 misfire, and traced the problem to a leaking #5 exhaust valve. So I pulled the head had the rest of the valves checked , all were ok but #5 exhaust valve , it was pitted and you could see it was not sealing. so the machine shop ground the valve and seat. Before I put the head back on I pulled all the lifters on the drivers side, on # 5 intake the lifter roller was badley pitted, and so was the lobe! I then replaced the cam with a new 2003 Z06 cam and two new lifters on #5 intake and exhaust (stocklifters) put it back together with new 2003 Z06 springs. Now i have a lifter making a noise after driving around about 10 min. And all rockers are at 22ft lbs. it sounds like only one lifter, on the drivers side. Any body have any Ideas? Don't know what else to do but replace all the lifters with a set of comp 850's that i have. Thanks for any replys.
Old 07-06-2005, 07:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It's normal for a 02 and above Z06 cam to make that noise. The Z06 cam has pretty steep ramps which are inheritantly noisy. Some LS6's are worse than others. Comes with the territory!

Ask me how I know.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

My 02(motor) is a ticker!
Old 07-06-2005, 05:45 PM
Staging Lane

NO, this can't be normal , this noise is for sure slack in the rockeror lifter, and its only just one not all.

Quick Reply: Lifter Noise