Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Next Mod??

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 02:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Next Mod??

Im hungry for the newest mod on the SS, I just cant figure out what, The current mods list is below, I cant get a cam because of gas prices. This is my everyday car and I go to school about 20 miles away from my home and a cam just wouldnt mix. What do you all think?

Mods list:
SLP LS6 Intake Manifold (aftermarket)
SLP long tube headers
SLP center exit quad exhaust
SLP SS Grill
SLP high flow cats
SLP dash and floor mats
SLP Smooth bellow and air lid
Custom 3" Exhaust
B&M Short throw Ripper shifter
Chrome strut tower brace
Eibach lowering springs
17x9/11 chrome ZR1 wheels
Chrome RK sport badges all the way around
RK sport black outs
skip shift eliminator
RK Sport CAMARO inserts
Old 07-06-2005, 02:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I only lost 1-2 MPG with a 237-242 cam and a decent tune! Im going to have to still say get the CAM!
Old 07-06-2005, 03:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

your least expensive option would be a pulley, but a cam or nitrous would be good choices that aren't terribly expensive
Old 07-06-2005, 03:34 PM
7 Second Club

if you hadnt of spent all that money on making it look pretty you could have gears and a cam and money for gas

screw gas prices.... cheap and fast dont go together

i vote gears (atleast 4.10 in a 9'' or 12 bolt) then a cam (atleast a 236 Dur because your a stick)
Old 07-06-2005, 03:38 PM
TECH Resident

I picked up 3 mpg when I did my cam and a tune.

I would do a pulley and TB to finish out the bolt ons. Then slap a cam in it.
Old 07-06-2005, 03:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ty_ty13
if you hadnt of spent all that money on making it look pretty you could have gears and a cam and money for gas :test:

screw gas prices.... cheap and fast dont go together

i vote gears (atleast 4.10 in a 9'' or 12 bolt) then a cam (atleast a 236 Dur because your a stick)
I bought that car looking pretty already I didnt spend a penny in looks, I guess I will get a cam. I was told that a cam does worse then loosing 2-3 MPG, I was eventually going to get a cam but wanted to do it last. Ive been looking at Comp Cams, How about a chip? Or is that just a waste of money?

Peace..
Old 07-06-2005, 03:59 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by MonSSter
I bought that car looking pretty already I didnt spend a penny in looks, I guess I will get a cam. I was told that a cam does worse then loosing 2-3 MPG, I was eventually going to get a cam but wanted to do it last. Ive been looking at Comp Cams, How about a chip? Or is that just a waste of money?

Peace..

i was just picking on ya

id grab some gears first...you'd be surprised what a 4.30 gear can do in a M6
Old 07-06-2005, 04:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

I was thinking some shocks, torque arms, new torque converter, or maybe even just a Full LS6 Conversion.

Last edited by MonSSter; 07-06-2005 at 04:10 PM. Reason: because i wanted to
Old 07-06-2005, 04:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MonSSter
Im hungry for the newest mod on the SS, I just cant figure out what, The current mods list is below, I cant get a cam because of gas prices. This is my everyday car and I go to school about 20 miles away from my home and a cam just wouldnt mix. What do you all think?

Mods list:
SLP LS6 Intake Manifold (aftermarket)
SLP long tube headers
SLP center exit quad exhaust
SLP SS Grill
SLP high flow cats
SLP dash and floor mats
SLP Smooth bellow and air lid
Custom 3" Exhaust
B&M Short throw Ripper shifter
Chrome strut tower brace
Eibach lowering springs
17x9/11 chrome ZR1 wheels
Chrome RK sport badges all the way around
RK sport black outs
skip shift eliminator
RK Sport CAMARO inserts
If you haven't done subframe connectors yet, that's what I would do.
Old 07-06-2005, 04:37 PM
Launching!

Nitrous or very cheap just put some fancy SS decals for a little more looks
Old 07-06-2005, 05:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

don't waste your money on a torque converter - they don't work in manual transmission cars

LS6 conversion is not worth it IMO - just go with a larger cam and get more gains
Old 07-06-2005, 05:39 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by iamsickofitall
don't waste your money on a torque converter - they don't work in manual transmission cars

Yeah, I was going to say something if it hadn't already been addressed.

MonSSter: You obviously have a bit of reading/searching to do. You should consider a new rear end (12 bolt) if you plan to race it at all and don't want to break. If you don't have a good clutch, look into that as well. LS1's done have "chips".

I recommend the subframe connectors, gears if you won't be running at the track or putting sticky tires on it, pulley and some sort of cold air induction. Then a cam. I would swap the pulley during the cam swap. Now, as to what cam to get...read the cam guide sticky and search around.
Old 07-06-2005, 06:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt

MonSSter: You obviously have a bit of reading/searching to do. You should consider a new rear end (12 bolt) if you plan to race it at all and don't want to break. If you don't have a good clutch, look into that as well. LS1's done have "chips".

I recommend the subframe connectors, gears if you won't be running at the track or putting sticky tires on it, pulley and some sort of cold air induction. Then a cam. I would swap the pulley during the cam swap. Now, as to what cam to get...read the cam guide sticky and search around.
Its that noticable that I just got the car then right?? I had a 02' Silverado with a 4" lift, exhaust, CAI,then I put a 350.00 chip in that damn thing and was practicly creaming Mustang GT's. But I guess such a chip doesnt exist for an LS1, I also had a 94 V6 camaro with almost every damn bolt on but the damn thing was just slow a huge waste of money IMO.

I thought that Jet made a programer for the LS1, isnt that considerd a chip?
Ahh who cares...

A 12 bolt, I cant afford right now. Maybe in the future I could see one but right now spending over 1k on a rear end is out of my reach.
I plan on getting gears, then subframe connectors as you
recommend and then a cam, Nitrous is out of the question, I dont want to spray with this car. If anything Ill wait until Feb 06' and not spend a damn penny until then and just Supercharge the car or Turbocharge it. Or just get the 383 stroker kit. Dont know yet..

BTW, I think the first thing is a new clutch, I was told that a z06 clutch would work wonders for this car is that true?
Old 07-06-2005, 07:06 PM
11 Second Club

Search the manual tranny section for all your clutch info needs. FYI: A 12 bolt is over $2k. Most hand held programmers are a waste of money IMO, what you might want to get is HPTuners or EFI live. I think..search the PCM section for that. Just getting it tuned by somebody after the cam should be plenty for now. If you won't take it to the track and/or put sticky tires on it you can hold off on the rear end.
Old 07-06-2005, 07:37 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt

stole the words out of my mouth, get the gears first, then the cold air induction and high flow lid at the same time, then a ported TB, and a 160 t-stat, then go into suspension, subframe connecters, a torque arm, panhard rod, then if you want to be faster then blkZ28spt up here (if you're not already) get the cam
Old 07-06-2005, 10:42 PM
7 Second Club

if you think a new 12 bolt rear is expensive dont even try to go with a turbo or supercharger...

turbosetup=15,000 +
supercharger about 10,000...

thats with a nicely built motor and all the goodies..

thanks,

Tyler
Old 07-07-2005, 10:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ty_ty13
if you think a new 12 bolt rear is expensive dont even try to go with a turbo or supercharger...

turbosetup=15,000 +
supercharger about 10,000...

thats with a nicely built motor and all the goodies..

thanks,

Tyler

Holy sh*t 15+..... I was looking to spend like 6-7 tops, hmmm Ill just go all motor..

Dont know why I should get a new Induction System the SLP one works fine.
Old 07-07-2005, 05:28 PM
11 Second Club

When he says $15k+ that includes building the motor and all the rest of the goodies. A good turbo system will probably be 6-7k plus you need everything to support it and handle the power. **** gets expensive fast. Besides, turbocharging gets complicated in a hurry.